Decendents "Everything Sucks" Guitar sound

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Decendents "Everything Sucks" Guitar sound

Post by E-cue » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:48 am

Does anyone here have any tips, or suggestions on how to get the guitar sound similar to the one of the "Everything Sucks" record? I can get a close tone with the right sustain on the low end, but on the higher notes, and guitar gliss's, I loose the power they have on that record.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Re: Decendents "Everything Sucks" Guitar sound

Post by numberthirty » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:17 am

I've heard Stephen tell people at shows that most of the Everything Sucks/Mass Nerder guitars sound is one Shure sm-81. I'm not sure if he was putting them on but that's what he said.

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:25 am

I'm going to put an email into the Blasting Room, but sometimes emulating is easier/better than the original thing you are going after. I'll put up an 81 and give it a shot, but I suspect the amp/cab has more to do with the sonics.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:39 am

On a related note, did anyone check out the new descendents song on allcentral.com... Its pretty damn good, I cant wait for the new record...
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:47 am

I knew nothing about it. Wowzahs. They are in my top 5 bands of all time. Descendents or All?

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:12 pm

Actually, I think tape op even did an interview with stephen. I think he may have said he used a JCM 800 50 watt head and a compressor pedal.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:25 pm

I'd say I like All and Descendents equally. When I saw the Descendents in '96, they did an encore set of all Black Flag covers. It was amazing...
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:36 pm

Embryo Electro wrote:When I saw the Descendents in '96, they did an encore set of all Black Flag covers. It was amazing...
I saw them do that in Cincinnati. Eggerton played drums, Stevenon played guitar, Milo played bass, and Karl Alverez sang. It was pretty amazing. The Descendents were my favorite band my sophmore and junior years of high school. That reunion was one of the most amazing things that ever happened to me.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 pm

Stephen actually checks in here every once in a while. He might be able to clarify.

I think it involves blending an amp signal (Les Paul > JCM 800 or Plexi or something) with a Hughes & Kettner Red Box signal. You can kinda hear some direct sound in there.

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:11 pm

takeout wrote:Stephen actually checks in here every once in a while. He might be able to clarify.

I think it involves blending an amp signal (Les Paul > JCM 800 or Plexi or something) with a Hughes & Kettner Red Box signal. You can kinda hear some direct sound in there.
How about that. I saw Stephen Egerton playing a Gibson SG a lot. I was thinking along the lines of a JCM 800, but I don't have one and the project I've been working on is extremely low budget (enter amp farm). Thanks for ALL your suggestions and comment.

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:40 pm

As a follow up, Bill Stevenson was kinda enough to email me:

"les paul i think it was the standard, not the custom
marshall jcm 900 100 watt
hughs/ketner redbox out of direct out
no mics"

I have access to all but the 100watt jcm (I can barrow a 50 watt). I'll give it a shot tommarow.

blameshifter
gettin' sounds

Post by blameshifter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:23 am

many multiple guitar tracks is key.

stephen posts on here. his name is "allbaldo". send him a PM, im sure he'll answer whatever question youve got.
"My freedom to move my fist must be limited
by the proximity of your chin."

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:37 am

Everything Sux was recorded with a 73 Les Paul Deluxe, routed out, with 70's Ibanez humbuckers installed...a Marshall 50 watt JCM 900, and a Hughes and Kettner Red Box DI. I didn't use mics on the record, because my cabinets sucked and I liked the Red Box more than the stuff I had at the time. I doubled all the guitars with the same setup.

On All's Mass Nerder, our next record, it was a bunch of different amps used two at a time..there was the same 50 watt JCM 900, a Sound City 50 Plus, a 100 watt JCM 900, and a Twin, a Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and an SM 81....we took a long time to get a really good placement. I doubled this one too...each pass with a different amp. Mostly the 50 watt JCM 900 and the Sound City.

The new Descendents record coming out in March of 04 has that 73 Les Paul again..this time through the 100 watt JCM 900 and a 78 JMP...each with their own old Marshall cab. This time the mics were Beyer M160's on each cabinet. We did this stuff live so there's just the original performance through both amps at the same time, and only a couple of little overdub parts.

Thanks for the intrest and kind words from you all. I've been posting...and lurking here for a long time now, and didn't know there were people here who knew our stuff. :)

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:47 am

allbaldo wrote: Thanks for the intrest and kind words from you all. I've been posting...and lurking here for a long time now, and didn't know there were people here who knew our stuff. :)
:worthy:
Dude! Descendents and All changed my life! Sick-o-Me was my favorite song on Everything Sux, Stephen. I love how you guys have always had four song writers in the band.

Good luck with the new studio.

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:49 am

E-cue wrote:I'll give it a shot tommarow.
Totally did the trick. I'm normally on bigger budget projects where I can rent whatever is needed, but this is one of them 'labor of love' things. Massive thanks to all.
allbaldo wrote:Thanks for the intrest and kind words from you all. I've been posting...and lurking here for a long time now, and didn't know there were people here who knew our stuff. :)
And thanks for your unselfish knowledge. I was suspecting that it had something to do with Andy Wallace, which I'm sure played a big part, but the set up mentioned was "presto chango" perfect. The Descendents are one of those groups that when you find out someone you know listens to them, you feel like you instantly know them better. I can't wait for the new material.