Wilco Show: Ok, I like them again ...

foley
pushin' record

Wilco Show: Ok, I like them again ...

Post by foley » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:56 pm

So the Wilco show came to Champaign/Urbana again last night and I think I went more out of some sense of inevitability than about being jazzed over the new record. Boy was I glad I went. There's a long history between our little town, Uncle Tupelo, and Wilco so it always seems like Tweedy does something special when he's here.

Last night it was double encore including Randy Newman's "Political Science" (ie: Let's Drop the Big One = Tweedy: "This is a song by Dick Cheney..."), BOC's "Don't Fear the Reaper" and Thunderclap Newman's "Something in the Air." Fun stuff.

They are definitely "noisier" than I've ever heard them, and I personally think it can detract from the songs a bit, but when they settle into their groove they are about as good as it gets (imo).

If you get the chance ...

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: Wilco Show: Ok, I like them again ...

Post by bedbug » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:43 pm

Oh man, I'll be seeing them Friday and can't wait!!!! I was planning on going tonight, but I bought a Jazzmaster, and then spent a little more money on the tremolo system ... so I just couldn't rationalize another one of those expensive tickemaster purchases. I wanted to see 'em twice on this tour, but I'll have to settle just for Friday's show.

Anyway, I can't wait. I've heard some boots from this lineup, and they're badass! They're pretty much my favorite band right now.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:38 pm

I wish they were coming back north on this swing. I saw them last fall and they were great.

To get by in between time, I've been collecting live clips & just burned a DVD (and I ordered AGIB on vinyl!).
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:02 pm

Yeah, Wilco does a flat-out great show. We went to the New Year's Eve show at the Garden w/ Flaming Lips and Sleater-Kinney. amazing show. Tweedy came out in his pajamas, sang his heart out. He did the Newman song, plus a Judas Priest cover, a nice Capt. and Tenille song, and lots of great older stuff. Technically speaking, the Garden's sound isn't good, but the engineers did a great job, even for losers like us sitting beside/above the stage.

My only complaint: My wife got one of the tour shirts with Mork From Ork rainbow sleeves. She wears it all the time to annoy me.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:05 pm

Damn! Just got back from seeing the Cincy show. I feel like I need to change my underwear.

I've been collecting boots from the AGIB tour, and waiting very patiently for tonight. It definitley did not disappoint. Probably my favorite time seeing them. The duel guitar action was definitley lacking on the YHF tours. The projected visuals were also a nice touch. Killer show!

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:15 pm

I just saw them this past wednesday in Columbus, OH. Thought I had to work but ended up getting the night off so I didn't get tickets until last week. My brother and I had two seats in the last row of the Wexner Center. Our tickets actuallly said "LR" Well, the Dethols play, didn't really enjoy them, but they were alright. About 10 minutes after they finish a guy walks up t where we were sitting and asks "Are you guys big Wilco fans?" I said "Yeah, sure" He says "Here, front row seats" and hands me two tickets. I look and they were indeed front row. I was pretty confused at this point, and some fear was kicking in thinking that this was somehow some sort of scam. Anyway we make our way down to the front of the venue and sure enough we are seated front row, dead center. I asked the usher up front what was going on and he said that Wilco had reserved the entire front row so that they could bring people from the back up front. This stands as the coolest fucking thing that has ever happened to me at a concert. On top of everything it was an amazing show. Damn, I still can't believe it all happened....

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:50 pm

there are two people that exist in this world that if i met, i would be compelled to punch them...

1) jeff tweedy

2) chuck knoblauch

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:23 pm

I finally watched "I am trying to break your heart", what an emotional rollercoaster. Being a rock star must be brutal.
my band: Mission 5

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

Post by brokenchairs » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:42 pm

My friend jeannine and i went to the columbus show too. We were towards the back under the balcony The seats were good though. My only complaint is that I couldn't hear the guitars all that well. The wexner usually has great sound, but it seemed a little muddy that night. Oh well. I was really excited to see them, and they definitely didn't disappoint. Spiders(Kidsmoke), and At Least That's What She Said were AMAZING. That band went from so-so alt-country toss-offs to a forward thinking band that matters. I guess it's kind of like Radiohead in a way.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:07 pm

nipsy wrote:there are two people that exist in this world that if i met, i would be compelled to punch them...
Ah, gettin a little ... nipsy, ain't ya?

I'd hold Chuck for you, though.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:17 pm

I have never really heard Wilco, never seen them live, and have never seen the documentary. So far, they do not disappoint.
beware bee wear

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:57 pm

joeysimms wrote:I have never really heard Wilco, never seen them live, and have never seen the documentary. So far, they do not disappoint.
You should stick there. It's like purposely not getting to know the cute girl at the coffee shop; it'll ruin everything.

I wish I would have never bought "A Ghost is Born." It was like finding out the cute girl was into coke, was sleeping with your worst enemy, and had once been a man.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:04 pm

funny, that just happened to me last week, although the guy she's sleeping with isn't my enemy, and she didn't used to be a man.....

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:09 pm

trashy wrote: I wish I would have never bought "A Ghost is Born." It was like finding out the cute girl was into coke, was sleeping with your worst enemy, and had once been a man.
I'm afraid of finding out that the cute girl is really kind of a bore, and on anti-depressants, but dresses up like she's an exciting person, while talking about herself the whole time.
beware bee wear

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:55 pm

joeysimms wrote: I'm afraid of finding out that the cute girl is really kind of a bore, and on anti-depressants, but dresses up like she's an exciting person, while talking about herself the whole time.
Dude, where did you meet my ex?
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini