Studiomaster Series II 40/8/2

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Studiomaster Series II 40/8/2

Post by operator_tape » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:45 pm

I have maybe a weird question but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these consoles in the past. Its form the 80's and supposidly phil collins was a big promoter for these consoles. Here is the question, I friend of mine has one that he used in the eighties as his console, and for the past 15 years of so has kept it not working, he says about 8 channels are not working and the master bus. My question is, is it worth tryting to maybe salvage those eight pre-amps from him and use them for my daw? I have never really built any pre-amps, but have done alot of soldering and know my was around schematics a little. Does anyone think this is possible? Any help would be recommended.

Thanks

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:23 pm

up!.!

Silverhammernz
audio school

Post by Silverhammernz » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:28 pm

I have one of these mixers, in the 16/8/2 version. I'm not sure the preamps are anything overly special. The biggest problem I've had with this desk are the inserts jack contacts oxidising, making the normalled connection dubious. If a channel doesn't go I would check those first. I also put some upgraded opamps in strategic places (the mix buss).

The mixer is retired now, in fact the power supply has stopped working and I need to sort that before i could consider selling it.

I do have all schematics except for some reason the mic pres. The circuit is fairly typical british 1980's, op amps and standard circuitry.

Larry

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:35 pm

Is it possible to convert the channel strips into something for a daw?

Silverhammernz
audio school

Post by Silverhammernz » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:12 pm

Well it is possible, were you going to mix all channels? or just take a direct out from each.

The direct out option is simplist, otherwise you need to have a mix buss. In the Series2 all the channel mix buss connections are on a common ribbon cable, quite a bit of work sorting that lot out if you don't use the existing system.

Personally I would just buy one of the many small modern mixers that are so available now.

Larry

mfdu
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mfdu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:07 pm

i have a studiomaster series 5 16/8/2, i use it as an 8bus rather than tapping off from each channels direct out.

yes i have had to replace the insert jacks and the main out xlr's (oxidised), and i have done the internal jumper mod from -10 to +4.

i love this console. it has its own sound - can get a bit crunchy if pushed too far, but if you respect it you'll get a "much better" (read : different) sound to the current crop of micro-mixes with "invisable mic pre's".
they're not great if they're all you have. but add them in to the mix with a few different flavour pre's and they really start to show they're colours.
the eq is broad and warm with swept mid. and it is a decent size to move around on.

certainly i intend to replace it. but not to update with any "modern" DAW front-end or compact mixer. that isn't the sound i am going for. next step for me woud be an older console - something equally interesting.

what sound are you going for? if you want the crystaline "modern" sound, then go for it. ditch the studiomaster. just dont tell me. and don't complain once you've done it.

if you are after some character and a pile of handy pre's and eq's then to add to your palette . . . well, you can see where i'm going with this.

cheerio

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

fix it man

Post by TooLoFi » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:41 pm

If you want to fix it, then start with the PSU, and work your way through the console. It takes a lot of time, patience, and a bit of money, but the good news is that you don't have to spend the money all at once, and you will get the satisfaction of fixing something.

I almost sold my console for scrap, but then realized that fixing it is not that hard. If it's modular, even better. I've heard that ribbon summers are a little noisy, you may consider a different method of summing.

greg
going one way down a wrong way street

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:13 am

thanks for the info, I will try to get some channels and convert them into direct outs, Is there any helpful links I should maybe look at?

Silverhammernz
audio school

Post by Silverhammernz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:54 am

If you have an intact Series 2 mixer then obviously use it.

But to modify it in my opinion is not worth the trouble, it's just a fairly typical opamp audio circuit of the day, very adequate but it aint a Neve.

The series 5 I don't know about.

For warmth in my DAW I pass everything through a TL Audio valve compressor and that works for me, each to their own.

Larry

mfdu

Post by mfdu » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:08 pm

yeah i got some valve pre's for when i want it juicy, i got the studiomaster for some smack.

the channels should have pre-fader inserts - just tap off from there and you've got a post-pre post-eg direct out. no need to chop cut and destroy!

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:03 pm

The reason I would like to do the mod is because, I want to put the shannel stips in a rack and make it look like the API Chanel strip rack, It would therefore be of more use for me and take up less space.

mfdu

Post by mfdu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:37 pm

sure it'll take up less space. because it aint a console any more.

one of these days all you'se cats are going to be saying "why did i think i could get away without a console"

sure we do our automation in the DAW. have you read any of the guff on summing boxes? multiple outs from the DAW? use the console.

what about tracking a band? reach out and grab a handfull of faders. oops - don't have a console.

EQ and mix on bounce-down? where'd that console go?

tracking via direct-outs as well as making an immediate stereo mix from the 2bus so the talent can take it with them? oh thats right - you don't have a console.

oh ok. i'll shut up now. but you'll remember this in years time and say "gee. chris may have been right"

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:40 pm

No, don't stop, Your ideas a totally being considered, THe thing is is that is not mine to begin with, its a collegues of mine and he is not using it and I was thinking of taking his broken 8 channel strips and converting them into rack useable pre-amps to go directly into my DAW, I have used a console on some occasions but am not rich enough and lucky to own one or even be able to use one on a yearly basis, I just though of instead having it sit around his studio I could take some of the channel strips and so some fixing on them and later use them while tracking with my DAW, Do wnat to go on anymore just wanted to give you the details on the siutation and see if it is a good idea or bad idea to do such a project.

mfdu

Post by mfdu » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:02 pm

fully understand, please forgive and in the light of things you have my blessing.
the pre's certainly do more for me than a mackie or b*#&^%(

especially if you can rack them with eq and insert points intact. that way you'll get the chance of loading a compressor in on the signal path before it hits A/D.

with that flexibility, you can make the most of what you need at the time.

the main thing should be providing the right voltages.
beyond that it shouldn't be too hard to find an input point and a (pre fader - you wouldn't rack it with faders would you?) and an output point to pop your XLR or 1/4" sockets onto . . .

have you found a circuit diagram?

:)

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:32 pm

no do you know were I can get one?