THE SECRET HANDSHAKE

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

THE SECRET HANDSHAKE

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:01 am

looking for the username & password to either register or update your profile?
try re-reading the posting rules.
thanks and have a nice day.
Last edited by TapeOpHillary on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:03 am

What prompted this?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:39 am

why? spambots being able to register then post spam everywhere.

the first step i took was changing automatic registrations to approved-by-admin ones. this led to me personally receiving about 40 new spam member request emails daily and about an hour or two of my time daily having to sort through them, determine if they were real or not, and delete the ones that obviously weren't. AND additionally having to reply to people that were too impatient to wait for me to sort through the lots of new members just to activate the good ones.

so then, the next step, by making the occupations & interests fields required, i could see who actually was into recording, but i was still getting flooded with spammers using interests like "internet" "sports" "music" "television" "technology" and then loads of funny things i can't even remember and lots of things in russian characters.

since it wasn't always clear if someone that put "music" in the interests field was real or spammer, so adding the password-protected registration/profile page has kept out probably 95% of spammers.

the 5% could also be real people who didn't read the rules that they needed to put something to do with audio or recording in those fields so i can spot them right away as being real. by putting "stuff" or "girls" or something that doesn't have to do with audio or recording in under interests, for all i know they are still spammers..
i'm just not activating those people. if they want to be members they need to email me so i know they're just wiseasses rather than spammers.

hope that's clear. it's been wonderful on this end. and we've had a spam-free board since end of january or so.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:11 pm

props.

I do miss reading posts from my buddy "free_n0k1a_v1agra_onl1ne" though.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:51 pm

and didn't you like "free im_a_spammer_ if you contact us now"

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:10 am

I love that you're going after these guys with such vigor. I do miss the 'I'm a spammer" messages though. They did offer a little entertainment. It'll be interesting to see if this stops them. I don't see how a spambot could possibly get around this. Good show!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:50 am

it's funny because i couldn't care less that i personally get 100 junk emails daily.
i just go through those and delete 'em.
but when it comes to *business* it gets nipped in the bud. - is that the right phrase? sounds stupid...

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:50 am

TapeOpHillary wrote:and didn't you like "free im_a_spammer_ if you contact us now"
Yeah I thought that was pretty slick. Thats why I always replace the "i" and "o" with "1" and "0" when I'm hawking my bogus cell phones and sex pills.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:10 am

I'll look around some more, but I can't find a 'secret handshake' password. I was going to look at my profile but can't get in. I seem to be able to post ok.

I re-read the rules. I usually glance down my spam folder before deleting and don't think I missed anything there. I've received TapeOp 2007 blurbs (1 anyhow) in my regular box.

How do I get into my profile?
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:52 am

bap wrote:I'll look around some more, but I can't find a 'secret handshake' password. I was going to look at my profile but can't get in. I seem to be able to post ok.

I re-read the rules. I usually glance down my spam folder before deleting and don't think I missed anything there. I've received TapeOp 2007 blurbs (1 anyhow) in my regular box.

How do I get into my profile?
sorry, but i guess you obviously *didn't* read all the way through the rules.
try again :D

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:36 pm

Oops! :oops: .... I guess I didn't.... so much for my speed reading!

Thanks.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:16 am

:D
there's a method to the madness, trust me.
we're spam-free now!