Plundering the Chicago Store on Monday 6/11/07...NEED RIDE!!

archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Plundering the Chicago Store on Monday 6/11/07...NEED RIDE!!

Post by greatmagnet » Wed May 23, 2007 11:12 am

Hey All,

My post-conference plane leaves real late Monday night. So, on Monday morning I've made an appointment to do some long-winded treasure hunting in the basement/attic of the Chicago store with a flashlight and stuff. Wanted to do that since I first saw the splendor of it last year. Craig says I'm officially cleared for liftoff with the owner of the store.

BUT, I am car-less (taking the airport shuttle to and from) so I need one lucky TapeOpper who has a rental car for the conference, is gonna still be around Monday morning 'til noon-ish, and is into doing some hot and dusty spielunking in the skanky guitar graveyard.

Any takers?

Cheers,
Adam
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed May 23, 2007 1:53 pm

I had heard that they were moving a bunch of the old used stuff to another off site location/store. I'm not sure if that has happened yet or not. You might want to inquire about that.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed May 23, 2007 2:38 pm

Will do. No indication of that from Craig, though so I'm still calling it a plan for now if anyone wants to help a brotha out.
?Raoul Duke

blackmac
audio school graduate

Re: Plundering the Chicago Store on Monday 6/11/07...NEED RI

Post by blackmac » Thu May 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Caldo71 wrote:Hey All,

BUT, I am car-less (taking the airport shuttle to and from) so I need one lucky TapeOpper who has a rental car for the conference, is gonna still be around Monday morning 'til noon-ish, and is into doing some hot and dusty spielunking in the skanky guitar graveyard.

Any takers?

Cheers,
Adam
Adam, I'll be there with a car and enjoy such hijinks. Happy to help you out and join in the 'investigation.'

The only thing I'll add is that it seemed last year that they charge 'top dollar' on a lot of the stuff they have when people check out.
Don't know if they were searching on the internet for prices or what.

Also: I doubt I'll be buying anything so 'no worries' on the 'garage sale I saw it first' senario.

I already have more Harmonys and Kays than I know what to do with. :-)

Well...if I found a cool Goya acoustic or something, maybe. :lol:

Blackmac
"Keep it on the PT" - the Positive Tip
Wired For Music studios at www.wfmwfm.com

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

i'm down fo the chi town dig

Post by supafuzz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:30 pm

oh yeah that video has got me crazy!!!
I gots a rent-o-car
lets hit the hiway
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:43 pm

Caldo71 wrote:My post-conference plane leaves real late Monday night. So, on Monday morning I've made an appointment to do some long-winded treasure hunting in the basement/attic of the Chicago store with a flashlight and stuff. Wanted to do that since I first saw the splendor of it last year. Craig says I'm officially cleared for liftoff with the owner of the store.
Ugh ... I've lived in Tucson for almost ten years, and I haven't bought so much as a set of guitar strings from those gonifs ...

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:52 am

Andy Peters wrote:Ugh ... I've lived in Tucson for almost ten years, and I haven't bought so much as a set of guitar strings from those gonifs ...

-a
Well that was very jaded-sounding...can you explain that comment a bit for us tourists?
?Raoul Duke

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:00 am

Anybody with a car wanna hit the Chicago Store Thursday afternoon? Chris Garges and I are getting in early Thursday...

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:35 am

drumsound wrote:Anybody with a car wanna hit the Chicago Store Thursday afternoon? Chris Garges and I are getting in early Thursday...
If you snag any cool shit out from under me you two are sleeping on the porch.
?Raoul Duke

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 am

My car just cost me the same amount of money I paid for a new mic. I'll be luck to get guitar picks that say Chicago Store on them...

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:58 am

drumsound wrote:My car just cost me the same amount of money I paid for a new mic. I'll be luck to get guitar picks that say Chicago Store on them...
I'll bring you free guitar pics that have Great Magnet logos on them. You are soooo LUCKY!
?Raoul Duke

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:18 am

Caldo71 wrote:
drumsound wrote:My car just cost me the same amount of money I paid for a new mic. I'll be luck to get guitar picks that say Chicago Store on them...
I'll bring you free guitar pics that have Great Magnet logos on them. You are soooo LUCKY!
SWEET!

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:37 pm

Caldo71 wrote:
Andy Peters wrote:Ugh ... I've lived in Tucson for almost ten years, and I haven't bought so much as a set of guitar strings from those gonifs ...

-a
Well that was very jaded-sounding...can you explain that comment a bit for us tourists?
Yeah, every time I go in the store, it's the same old piles of junk. Sometimes you discover something bizarre, like a '64 Vibrolux with no knobs and no tubes (and therefore no way to test it) and a $1000 price tag.

Now, maybe some oddball pointy-headstock cheap-o guitar is your thing, and that's cool. But I really don't want to be asked to pay full retail for a new amp or whatever that's been thrown onto the junk pile with the rest of the crap.

The locals shop at Rainbow or Guitars Etc.

Now, having said all of that, a couple of years ago a drunk woman ran a red light on South Sixth at Congress, which forced a trucker to swerve to avoid her, and he plowed right into the pillar holding up the Chicago Store building overhang and right into their front window. The folks who own the store really stepped up to help the truck driver. So kudos to them.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Andy Peters wrote:
Caldo71 wrote:

-a
Yeah, every time I go in the store, it's the same old piles of junk. Sometimes you discover something bizarre, like a '64 Vibrolux with no knobs and no tubes (and therefore no way to test it) and a $1000 price tag.

Now, maybe some oddball pointy-headstock cheap-o guitar is your thing, and that's cool. But I really don't want to be asked to pay full retail for a new amp or whatever that's been thrown onto the junk pile with the rest of the crap.

The locals shop at Rainbow or Guitars Etc.

Now, having said all of that, a couple of years ago a drunk woman ran a red light on South Sixth at Congress, which forced a trucker to swerve to avoid her, and he plowed right into the pillar holding up the Chicago Store building overhang and right into their front window. The folks who own the store really stepped up to help the truck driver. So kudos to them.

-a
I grew up in Tucson and spent a lot of time @ The Chicago Store with Joe & Mark. You just need to know how to bargain if you want a good deal. They were/are very cool people IMO. Most of the really cool stuff used to be upstairs (above the front counter) in the front, upstairs towards the back of the store, downstairs in the cellar, upstairs in the back right portion (I think they have a sheet music area over there now), and also hidden in the passage ways upstairs. i used to spend hours upon hours exploring the hidden parts of the store. Ah the memories. I also buy stuff from Rainbow Guitars as well (cool shop). Pete Fine @ Rainbow was a longtime fixture @ Chicago Store before he went to Rainbow.

gretchkit
audio school graduate

Post by gretchkit » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:48 pm

hey Tony,

i'll be in early Thrusday too

don't have a car, but i'll come along

cell: 516/661-9675

I should be there between 1pm - 2pm

sash