wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: uhhh

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:55 pm

trodden wrote:
wayne kerr wrote:
trodden wrote:didnt' this just happen?

no one has anything fun to tell?
I think the idea was to keep you in the dark so you'd actually show up next year. :lol:
Pay my way baby and i'll join you!
pish posh. i hear it's gonna be free next year!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:38 pm

drunton wrote:I wish I could give credit to this semi-quote:
In reference to teaching the whole room their secrets - "If a kids going to smoke pot, may as well teach them how to roll the joint right".
I believe it was Tony San Filippo in his opening comments for the "mastering in the box" seminar talking about people who are mastering their own material at home.

I also thought it was pretty good, although my personal highlight was Mark Rubel calling up Les Paul to wish him happy birthday.

I'm sure the quotes page is gonna be pretty damn funny this year.

-marc alan goodman

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:15 pm

Marcocet wrote:
drunton wrote:I wish I could give credit to this semi-quote:
In reference to teaching the whole room their secrets - "If a kids going to smoke pot, may as well teach them how to roll the joint right".
I believe it was Tony San Filippo in his opening comments for the "mastering in the box" seminar talking about people who are mastering their own material at home.

I also thought it was pretty good, although my personal highlight was Mark Rubel calling up Les Paul to wish him happy birthday.

I'm sure the quotes page is gonna be pretty damn funny this year.

-marc alan goodman
It was my panel but I didn't say it. It was Garrett Haines from Treelady Mastering. He's a really funny guy!

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:00 am

The only downside to me was that there were almost always two or more panels going on at the same time that I wanted to attend. Given the amount of time to squeeze everything in I certainly am not blaming them for this. I was able to get in a lot and had a great time. I missed the concert at the pool though...had dinner at The Last Territory and went back to my room and fell asleep.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:46 am

TV Lenny wrote:The only downside to me was that there were almost always two or more panels going on at the same time that I wanted to attend. Given the amount of time to squeeze everything in I certainly am not blaming them for this. I was able to get in a lot and had a great time. I missed the concert at the pool though...had dinner at The Last Territory and went back to my room and fell asleep.
It was a really great show. The bands were really good, but John Vanderslyce took the cake for me. I'm gonna get some of his stuff very soon.

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:19 pm

Hey Hey!

Yeh... Absolutely impossible to attend every panel I wanted, visit every booth I wanted, get to know the people I wanted... But I did manage to catch almost every band and definitely found a few to look further into.

Next year I'm just going to make up a hot tub schedule for the wee hours of the morning and go around booking appointments to talk to people. :)

And you know... there was this guy I met... somewhere in between Zappa and Yanni... Very cool. :)

Archmart

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:33 pm

TV Lenny wrote:The only downside to me was that there were almost always two or more panels going on at the same time that I wanted to attend. Given the amount of time to squeeze everything in I certainly am not blaming them for this. I was able to get in a lot and had a great time. I missed the concert at the pool though...had dinner at The Last Territory and went back to my room and fell asleep.
That was me on Friday. We drove downtown, had some of the jambalaya and dessert at the coffee bar in the Hotel Congress, and caught Mitch Easter. After that, I was too dead to do anything else and we went back to the hotel and crashed.

I also had problems deciding which workshops to hit, and I think in almost every case made the decision at the last minute. I was originally only going to go to the first potluck studio drum techniques session and ended up attending all of them. I still want to know where Mark Rubel got that cowbell...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 am

There was a guy video taping the "Mastering in the Box" panel that I was on. I talked to him after and he told me his son has a home studio and attended the '06 con. He cam along this year and would tape one panel while his son attended nother that way he was getting to see twice as many.
archmart wrote:And you know... there was this guy I met... somewhere in between Zappa and Yanni... Very cool.
Beware of that guy...

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Okay, it's official, I dont care what it takes, I'm gonna make it next year. This year, I just didn't have the $1000 it would've cost me to do it.

Also, with the possibility of it blowing up and changing, I say f-it, and move it to Vegas. At least that way EVERYONE can get cheap plane tix, and stay there cheap too. Certainly tons of conf. rooms avail. Sure the surroundings are a bit distracting, but hey, why not!?

If it was in Vegas this year, I could've afforded it. that's all I'm saying.

broke-ass-trask.
off somewhere listening.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:06 pm

nice. Sorry to mis-attribute that quote to you Tony!

yeah, you should go. it was crazy. also I enjoy hot tubs.

-marc alan goodman

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:26 am

drumsound wrote:There was a guy video taping the "Mastering in the Box" panel that I was on. I talked to him after and he told me his son has a home studio and attended the '06 con. He cam along this year and would tape one panel while his son attended nother that way he was getting to see twice as many.
archmart wrote:And you know... there was this guy I met... somewhere in between Zappa and Yanni... Very cool.
Beware of that guy...
Hey Hey!

Wow... I hope that guy had a Happy Father's Day. He deserves it.

I actually borrowed a little tiny flash recorder and in a couple of instances (Mastering In The Box being one) I had someone else record it for me while I went to another session. The trouble with that, of course, is finding the time to listen to it now! Also, as I understand it, he got a call 10 or so minutes before the end and instead of leaving the recorder on his chair or something he took it with, so once I find time to listen to it I'm probably going to be posting here the question: "What was said immediately after the phrase -But really the most important thing about mastering in the box is..."

Archmart

Rob Christensen
gettin' sounds

Post by Rob Christensen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:32 pm

I wish there was a seperate day just for the PotLuck Studio. A whole lot of the time I wanted to be there AND at a workshop.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:25 pm

Rob Christensen wrote:I wish there was a seperate day just for the PotLuck Studio. A whole lot of the time I wanted to be there AND at a workshop.
That would be cool. I had that going on as well. I ended up skipping a lot of the other workshops to go to the potluck studio ones. The only problem with it having its' own day is: can you imagine the chaos of everyone being in there at once?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:56 pm

Johnny B wrote:
Rob Christensen wrote:I wish there was a seperate day just for the PotLuck Studio. A whole lot of the time I wanted to be there AND at a workshop.
That would be cool. I had that going on as well. I ended up skipping a lot of the other workshops to go to the potluck studio ones. The only problem with it having its' own day is: can you imagine the chaos of everyone being in there at once?
The Potluck Studio is much bigger in New Orleans...

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:34 am

drumsound wrote: The Potluck Studio is much bigger in New Orleans...
Oh, never mind, then. :)

I'm just hoping that Craig is really able to get a mastering potluck studio together next year. That will be awesome...