Need repair for an EV RE-20

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Need repair for an EV RE-20

Post by ghaines » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:08 am

Our RE-20 isn't feeling well. It distorts on loud signals. I suspect its a cap or a loose connection.

I've tried to take it apart.... first you need a nano-technology based hex driver (which I ordered from Hong Kong) but even that won't pull the whole thing open.

So, I heard EV will fix it or look at it for $50 or something. ... WRONG... We called EV and they told us to send them $250 and the mic and they would ASSESS it and then tell us what's going on.

Well, if a new one is $350....

So, any advice would be appreciated. If I could open the damned thing I would look at it myself.

Best,
GH
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 am

I don't know about EV but I know Shure looks at/repairs/replaces their mikes at a fixed cost like for an SM7 it's around $160, I would think that your $250 to EV would get it fixed or replaced not just assessed. Maybe you need to talk to a different person there?

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ghaines » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:20 am

I F*$#*-ing LOVE SHURE. Their mics work, you could beat someone to death with one (if need be) and they're super easy to deal with in person. Thanks for the tip.

PS. The two new large diaphragm condensers they have out... don't try them unless you have the money... because you won't want to give them back.
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:34 am

I had the exact same symptoms with a PL20. Ended up selling here for $60 after taking it apart and cleaning the capsule. I've since seen somebody on ebay offering to pay $100 for broken RE20s.

However, I've seen some some recent posts over at GroupDIY regarding RE20 repairs. You might want to contact them.

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=41717.0

EDIT: Also, where are you stuck as far as getting it open? After you remove the set screw, the top grille unscrews from the body. I don't remember having any problems getting mine apart. I had to unsolder the XLR connector IIRC also.

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stylus flanger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm

there is a button-like object that is supposed to be attached (glued?) to the middle of the clear diaphragm. when it comes loose it creates the rattling noise. it's possible, but not recommended, to poke a tiny hole in the center and insert a very small amount of glue and point the mic downward to dry. ev probably can't afford to fix them for free any more because as time goes on there are so many more that fail. these are such great mics when working properly that they would be much more expensive in the vintage market if there weren't so many produced.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:34 pm

ghaines wrote:I F*$#*-ing LOVE SHURE. Their mics work, you could beat someone to death with one (if need be) and they're super easy to deal with in person. Thanks for the tip.

PS. The two new large diaphragm condensers they have out... don't try them unless you have the money... because you won't want to give them back.
Heh yeah Shure is great I am a fan of the SM7 and KSM44 for sure...I don't own an SM7 of my own yet and I have only one KSM44..like to make it a pair some day..

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stylus flanger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:37 pm

there is a button-like object that is supposed to be attached (glued?) to the middle of the clear diaphragm. when it comes loose it creates the rattling noise. it's possible, but not recommended, to poke a tiny hole in the center and insert a very small amount of glue and point the mic downward to dry. ev probably can't afford to fix them for free any more because as time goes on there are so many more that fail. these are such great mics when working properly that they would be much more expensive in the vintage market if there weren't so many produced.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:53 pm

we, like, heard that already.

but seriously.....no one else will repair these suckers but Electrovoive...er Bosch...er Telex....from what I found. yep

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Ben at Mic Daddy does RE20 repairs: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=41717.0
Services we offer for the RE20 microphone are remedies for..

Rotting Foam

Baby Rattle Syndrome

No Output

RE20 repair rates generally range from $109-$159 with some exceptions.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stylus flanger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:13 pm

gotta eliminate my double posting prob. sorry

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:34 am

Peterson Goodwyn wrote:Ben at Mic Daddy does RE20 repairs: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=41717.0
Services we offer for the RE20 microphone are remedies for..

Rotting Foam

Baby Rattle Syndrome

No Output

RE20 repair rates generally range from $109-$159 with some exceptions.
awesome! good to know!
stylus flanger wrote:gotta eliminate my double posting prob. sorry
i was joking man! it happens all the time. but if no one else makes a post you can delete it, or go back and edit and delete the text.