just moved to portland OR!!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Tex Adams
audio school graduate

just moved to portland OR!!

Post by Tex Adams » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 am

now what? I have no job. I'm crashing on my sister's couch. but there's so much good music here I just want it to work./

Help?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 am

How old are you?

What skills do you have?

Do you have a work ethic?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Tex Adams
audio school graduate

Post by Tex Adams » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:07 am

I'm 19

I have no special skills really. I play instruments but that's just my personal interest. I kind of feel like I've devoted too much of my time to music.

I've held a job at a theater for 2 and a half years.
and I'm willing to do anything. I just need some kind of income.

I'm thinking maybe I could go to school and collect financial aid>
but I'm trying to get a job. it's just difficult.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 pm

There's lots of theaters in town. Apply there. Go with what you know. Do you have a good resume and presentable clothing? Are you talking movie theaters? Because the McMinnimans (sp?) empire has a whole shitload of movie theaters all over town, it might just be one application to apply to all of them. If you mean live theaters, you might need to apprentice or intern at one of the second tier theaters and prove yourself absolutely indyfuckingspenseable to break in there. The theater community here is pretty tight. If financial aid is a possibility, and you're academically minded, school is a great, socially acceptable way to put off real life for 4 years. And, most importantly, you'll connect with the people that will be your friends for the rest of your life.
Carl Keil

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 pm

When I moved here 4 years ago, I found the job market to be fairly competitive....especially considering I had previously worked and lived in New Mexico for 30 years. Then again, I'm in a totally different field (teaching) and can't really tell you much about any other industries.
I'd just advise you try and be patient because it can take awhile to score a decent gig here.

Tex Adams
audio school graduate

Post by Tex Adams » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:There's lots of theaters in town. Apply there. Go with what you know. Do you have a good resume and presentable clothing? Are you talking movie theaters? Because the McMinnimans (sp?) empire has a whole shitload of movie theaters all over town, it might just be one application to apply to all of them. If you mean live theaters, you might need to apprentice or intern at one of the second tier theaters and prove yourself absolutely indyfuckingspenseable to break in there. The theater community here is pretty tight. If financial aid is a possibility, and you're academically minded, school is a great, socially acceptable way to put off real life for 4 years. And, most importantly, you'll connect with the people that will be your friends for the rest of your life.
yeah,
I worked at a movie theater.

I think either way, I will apply at the mission theater (mcmenamins) thanks for the rec!

I think for now I won't worry about trying to break into the music scene too much, although ultimately that is exactly why I moved here.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:16 am

The music scene here might be awesome and great, but it's small, elitist and incestuous. If you're not willing to go to shows and smoke pot with and shmooze people you might as well go back to where you came from. Being a parent who doesn't do drugs (and yes, pot is a drug) has knocked me out of contention for almost every band I've tried to hook up with.
Carl Keil

Tex Adams
audio school graduate

Post by Tex Adams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:12 pm

well, I kind of expect the music scene anywhere to be at least a little bit like that. musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:40 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:The music scene here might be awesome and great, but it's small, elitist and incestuous.
Sounds like most places, even London, UK I hesitate to say.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Tex, I like your style. You're right. People who like musicians are total fuckers. LOL!!
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Go with what you know.
Hmmm... Portland OR may be an exception here.

Totally go after theater jobs. Full force. Tooth and nail.

But Portland is tough. I suggest going after anything. Bag groceries. Wash dishes. Be the guy who prepares the big vat of tuna fish at 6AM. Any job that pays money is worth taking.

Tex Adams
audio school graduate

Post by Tex Adams » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:19 pm

well.. I've been trying all that I can and so far not having any luck finding work.
at this point I'm really not sure what to do. I've been asking around shops seeing who's hiring (nobody is) going on craigslist looking for openings but nothing's really coming up for me. only a couple listings so far.

it would be so crushing if I had to go back to california, after all the saving I've done just to be here.

I guess I should just try to meet more people. knowing someone seems to be the one and only way to get a job these days.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Can you busk?
Carl Keil

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Post by christiannokes » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Do you have some friends that would want to move up to Portland and live with you? That can make it easier financially as well as for moral support.

Will your sister let you keep crashing (without chipping in for rent I assume???)

What are your expenses? If all you have to pay for is food and transportation then that is not too bad.

If you have enough time and money, to coast long enough, it may be worth volunteering somewhere. If you do a good job then the people you volunteer with may have connections, and if they see you are a good worker, they might point you towards a job.

You might need to take some chances with things you don't normally take chances with when you have a job.

I just moved to Tahoe in November, so I just went through what you are going through right now to some extent...but I busted my ass for a job, and built a relationship with a hotel owner and now me and my 2 roomates are trading our painting/construction skills for a room.

Good luck to you. You can do it!

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Try a temp agency. It's not as bad as it might sound. My wife temped for quite some time when we moved to PDX, because the market is so tight. I imagine it does help to have a college degree, thoug. A lot of temp positions turn into permanent.

On the other hand, YMMV. some temp jobs suck balls.