Neck replacement for Fender Jazz Bass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Neck replacement for Fender Jazz Bass

Post by lancebug » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I have a MIM jazz bass with a crap neck that I want to replace. Why not get a whole new bass? Because it already has Duncan Vintage Stack pickups and a Leo Quan Badass bridge and the sound is pretty good, minus some dead spots on the neck. The real deal killer is the truss rod is about shot, so I pretty much have to swap necks or dump it all together. I don't need anything super nice, but it would be great if it was a step or two nicer than what MIM's come with stock. Also, I don't want to pay more than what it would cost to buy a whole MIM bass second hand, so between $100 and $200 would probably be ideal. Any suggestions?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:28 pm

No personal experience with these but there is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mite-Repla ... B0029SW004

Also I saw several necks on eBay. Between that and finding a secondhand bass on Craigslist those are probably your best options if you want to be as cheap as possible.
Honestly though if you've already got the money in the bass why not get a decent Warmoth neck?

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:37 pm

The Warmoth option seems like a good fit, as far as price and options go. I'd love to get a tele headed neck. After shipping and getting the nut installed, it would run about $220, which I think is reasonable. and Any first hand experiences with them?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Lance O wrote:The Warmoth option seems like a good fit, as far as price and options go. I'd love to get a tele headed neck. After shipping and getting the nut installed, it would run about $220, which I think is reasonable. and Any first hand experiences with them?
If their bass parts are as good as their guitar parts I'd say go for it.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Lance O wrote:After shipping and getting the nut installed, it would run about $220
Did you include the finish in that, or are you going to finish it yourself?

I've got a Warmoth jazz neck on my P-Bass, with the narrower width at the nut (1.5"). It's a great neck, just too narrow for my gigantic hands, so I've been meaning to get a wider one for a while. I've added machined threaded inserts for the body screws. Maple with rosewood fretboard, white pearloid dot inlays. Clear satin nitro finsh. The nut is less than a year old. I'd be willing to sell it for $150 shipped if you're interested.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
Lance O wrote:After shipping and getting the nut installed, it would run about $220
Did you include the finish in that, or are you going to finish it yourself?

I've got a Warmoth jazz neck on my P-Bass, with the narrower width at the nut (1.5"). It's a great neck, just too narrow for my gigantic hands, so I've been meaning to get a wider one for a while. I've added machined threaded inserts for the body screws. Maple with rosewood fretboard, white pearloid dot inlays. Clear satin nitro finsh. The nut is less than a year old. I'd be willing to sell it for $150 shipped if you're interested.
I was going to finish the neck myself, but I would be interested as that is pretty much what I am looking for. I'll pm you in a few.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:12 pm

yep, only had good experiences with warmoth parts

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 am

I took Nate up on the neck, and it ended up being a great move. What didn't expect was how much it affected the tone. Much clearer and with better sustain. With the bridge pickup it almost sounds like a baritone. I am thinking that has something to do with the steel stiffening rods in the warmoth necks, and also how really rotten the old MIM neck actually was.