vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm

PS-- shred, I did a little unofficial count last night in the vinyl section. Including 45 singles and 78's, as well as 33 & 1/3 LP's, I've only got about 650 pieces, so you are right on my heels. At the rate that you are expanding, you've probably long surpassed! CD's and cassette tapes remain uncounted at this time... Lots and lots of tapes. Oy.

Did you ever see some of these Hip-Hop dj's and producer's collections? Wall after wall after wall, all just to get the perfect "This is...", James Brown yelp, or discrete snare hit.

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Ah, if only I had the room. For those who do, here's the future.. ;)

ImageImage

ps-Dr Rubberfunk, enjoyed your photo show there with the airshow, historic race cars, drum parts, etc..

ipressrecord wrote:Can someone recommend a sweet sweet turntable/stylus? I'm in the market for something direct drive and wonderful.

Jeff
Say, anybody got a suggestion for Jeff? I've got a nice belt driven table from way back, but I havent' been in the market since.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:03 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Can someone recommend a sweet sweet turntable/stylus? I'm in the market for something direct drive and wonderful.

Jeff
I have a Technics SL-1700 with a Stanton 681 EEE MKlll cartridge and it sounds really good. i would recommend it. There are other models of the Technics SL series besides the Technics SL-1200 that are just as good sounding. That one is just super popular because of the DJ features.(and it's a nice turntable). You can find the SL-1700 for $100 or less on ebay. Once you set it up it sounds really good.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Double-post self-deleted.

GJ
Last edited by Gregg Juke on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeah Jeff, there is sooo much out there, vintage and new gear, belt drive and direct, usb or standard, straight tone arm and curved, various cartridges and needles/styli and cleaning systems-- you kind of have to find something that works for you at the price point you want to spend. You will find no shortage of audiophile arguments in favor of each and every system, and to some of these guys, it's nothing to spend the total amount we spend on our control rooms for a turntable and amp. So, unless you're independently wealthy, it's wise to have a figure in mind ahead of time, and/or stick to the used market.

I have an older Technics at the studio (and a Girard record changer out in the garage). I've got a little Numark portable usb for auditioning in the record room or taking to gigs. I've got a cheap little all-in-one GPX in the bedroom. I had the Stanton 1200 copy at school, and it's actually pretty well-built, but that's the only direct-drive of the bunch.

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:03 am

propaganda..

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm

shedshrine wrote:propaganda..

:D

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Cool vinyl props!

Hey guys, I was mistaken, the TT in the control room is direct-drive. It's one of the cheaper Technics models, and the platter is a little flimsy, so I assumed it was belt, but it's not. Model # SL-QD22, if I remembered that correctly.

GJ

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:37 pm

I have a fair amount of vinyl from my DJ days (as in 'DJ EasyGo'). Here are a few highlights:

Johnny Cash's first Sun LP and Howlin Wolf's first LP on Chess, both found on the same day at the Maxwell St. Market for a buck each.

The first two Prestige LPs of Hammond organ great Charles Earland, produced by Rudy Van Gelder. I got the debut LP Black Talk' autographed on the back at a Green Mill gig before Charles passed.

'Spellbinder' by Gabor Szabo and 'Karma' by Pharoah Sanders, both on Impulse. The Gabor Szabo LP has the original version of 'Gypsy Queen'; he was apparently a big influence on Carlos Santana.

The 'Smokin Cheeba Cheeba' 12" by the Harlem Underground Band and U-Roy's first LP on Virgin 'Dread In a Babylon.'

An original pressing of the first Meters album on Josie and Bill Doggett's 'Honky Tonk Popcorn' on King, produced by James Brown. Both are 'break' records with known drum 'breakbeats.'

Some colored vinyl and a printed album:

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Hey shedshrine, is that a tube receiver/integrated amp (with the cover off) in a couple of your photos? Looks like tubes and big transformers in there.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey Easy,

Nice stuff!!!!

I've got that Pharoah Sanders. Pretty groovy. I'm still trying to cop that Leon Thomas closed-mouthed yodelling thing...

GJ

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:I've got that Pharoah Sanders. Pretty groovy. I'm still trying to cop that Leon Thomas closed-mouthed yodelling thing...
LOL. That yodeling is pretty crazy. I think that song is kind of an answer tune to John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme.'

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Hey Easy,

Nice stuff!!!!
Wow. Thanks for posting those.

Yeah, that receiver is an old 1966 McIntosh Mac1500. 30 watts, 40 pounds.
Tube tuner and power amp, solid state preamp.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 am

H O L Y
E F F I N G
S - - T .

Not only McIntosh, but a tube McIntosh.

W O W .

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:30 am

I have the McIntosh app for my iPod...