Jury Duty for pro engineers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
TapeOpLarry wrote:I bet if I go and act in my normal ways I'll be sent packing! -LC

Drop an F-bomb every other offing word.
I guess we've never hung out. I can't be around children I swear so much.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Hmmm.

My kids are used to it; I'm like Axel in the The Deer Hunter.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:02 pm

I've sworn so much around my kids they can drop the F bomb in just the right place to be hilarious. My youngest swears like a sailor. You could hang here just fine. The reason I wrote that post was because I've noticed over the years that you swear a shitload. I meant no disrespect though, cause I do too. I swear the most when I'm working, how 'bout you?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 am

Oh, "Snarl", we have hung in the past haven't we? Fucking, shit, of fucking course.

I'm doing jury duty, got a 2 day window, but if they want more I'll have to say "Later" and that's just the way it is.

I bailed on it once in Calif as I had a tour coming up. I wore a dirty t-shirt and ripped pants as well. Worked like a charm. What else could I have done? Plus it was a death penalty case. I would have been kicked out anyway.
www.larry-crane.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 am

Lemme guess, didja say, "Hell yes, I believe in the Death Penalty! We don't even need a trial; he's accused, just give it to him anyway."

Seems like it should work ...

:twisted:

I sat ona DWI/DUI jury some years ago. We acquitted when the 6'2" trooper testified the 5'8" accused punched him during the arrest, but no charges were brought for that. The accused had refused to blow so for some reason there was only the trooper's testimony that the accused was impaired ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:55 pm

vvv wrote:Lemme guess, didja say, "Hell yes, I believe in the Death Penalty! We don't even need a trial; he's accused, just give it to him anyway."

Seems like it should work ...

:twisted:

I sat ona DWI/DUI jury some years ago. We acquitted when the 6'2" trooper testified the 5'8" accused punched him during the arrest, but no charges were brought for that. The accused had refused to blow so for some reason there was only the trooper's testimony that the accused was impaired ...
Those little guys can be scrappy. He coulda punched him.
Carl Keil

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:00 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Oh, "Snarl", we have hung in the past haven't we? Fucking, shit, of fucking course.

I'm doing jury duty, got a 2 day window, but if they want more I'll have to say "Later" and that's just the way it is.

I bailed on it once in Calif as I had a tour coming up. I wore a dirty t-shirt and ripped pants as well. Worked like a charm. What else could I have done? Plus it was a death penalty case. I would have been kicked out anyway.
We hung out once. Over 20 years ago, probably. I did sound for Vomit Launch in Arcata CA and then you guys crashed at my place, but I think you guys were sick and basically passed out instantly. Except Trish who drank till dawn, even though she was the sickest of you all, go figure. I also worked for a couple years with your Ex, at the Health Dept. (She swore like crazy too. And she turned me on to TapeOp, all those years ago.) So between that, and the mag, and your rep, I do kinda feel like I know you. But there's almost no reason you should feel like you know me.
Carl Keil

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:41 pm

I was on a civil case years ago; two weeks at least, at what? $2.00 a day plus validated parking? The courtroom was literally like some kind of sitcom circus, and we had to go through this whole intense process, spend a day in deliberations, and then _as_ we were getting ready to deliver the verdict, we got the word that they had reached a settlement. I understand that is a fairly normal occurrence. Makes you wonder why they couldn't just figure things out on their own in the first place...

I _do_ believe that jury duty is a privilege and an important civic duty, and I would only try to get out of it if I absolutely had to. Be their timing almost always seems to be exquisitely bad.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:But there's almost no reason you should feel like you know me.
But I remembered that shit! Crazy!
www.larry-crane.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:30 am

Reschedule asap.

And no, don't try the old trick of acting out.

If we want to live in the United States of America, this Jury Duty is one of the very few things which are part of our civic duty.

Along with voting, it is one of the few things which an average citizen can do to further the nation.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 am

"Bold talk for a man whose genitals didn't 't survive the freeze."

Lucky Ned Pepper

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:13 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:"Bold talk for a man whose genitals didn't 't survive the freeze."

Lucky Ned Pepper

GJ
at least I survived mixing in purgatory.

;)
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:48 pm

I also did a reschedule a few years ago. They were able to give me choice of weeks (we do a whole week of on call here in Central IL) way in advance, so I could make my schedule work. I sat on a jury previous to that and was glad to do it.