Teaching

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:08 pm

drumsound wrote:
vvv wrote:I'm starting to feel like we need a SM57 analogy thread.

You, know, "SM57s are to mic's what butt plugs are to sex toys."

Like that.

:twisted:
RoyMatthews wrote:
Gregg Juke wrote:You mean someone actually wants to ban the SM57 (besides Tony)??

GJ
Well, I'm sure Albini would be on board with a banning.
Toquote the Electrical Audio website describing the Beyer M201 "If the SM57 were a microphone, it would sound like this."
I have totally banned the SM57. The one I have is broken by a drumstick while on loan. I bought drum heads with the money that was given to replace the mic. It was MUCH better expenditure.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:09 pm

You, sir, are an Anti-Shurite!!!!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Mine has the same silver tape holding the headbasket on?!

Tony, have you tried yanking the tranny? I'm using mine all the time now that I did that.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:51 am

Gregg Juke wrote:You, sir, are an Anti-Shurite!!!!

GJ
I actually like a lot of Shure mics. I think the Beta 181 is brilliant. The KSM are nice, I need to try the 141.
http://recordinghacks.com/2012/09/27/sh ... 81-review/

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Mine has the same silver tape holding the headbasket on?!

Tony, have you tried yanking the tranny? I'm using mine all the time now that I did that.
That's not tape, the basket is GONE via a drumstick.

I had one at home to boil and remove the tranny, but I never got around to it. I ended up trading it for a cool little Heathkit signal tracer turned into an amp. It's a much better and more useful piece of gear.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:21 pm

I like the KSM27 a lot on vox, and of all my mic's, the Beta58 is my usual snare top mic.

No, I mean it!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:13 pm

vvv wrote:I like the KSM27 a lot on vox, and of all my mic's, the Beta58 is my usual snare top mic.

No, I mean it!
We have no reason to believe you'd lie.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:11 pm

:lol:

I just meant that I know some might be puzzled by that.

But seriously, it sounds great for when I don't use a bottom mic - it's kinda somehow "too much" with a mic on the bottom, for me.

But I prefer it to the I5, and while I have a number of AKG dynamics, and a few Senn's, and the standby 57 and reg'lar 58, the Beta58 comes off, like, lively and even kinda "enhanced". What isn't always what ya want, but mostly what I do (typically with AT4040's in spaced-pair OH, ZoomR16 without any outboard). :twisted:

I don't like condensors on snare, but the Beta58 is kinda headed that way ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Isn't the Beta series all Neodymium magnets? That slightly explains the "getting into condenser" type sound. Those magnets are much lighter, and allow for faster transient reaction.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Yep.

I have to admit, I bought my first one for about US$70 and wondered if I paid too much for a used mic ...

I now have another for back-up as I carry it to jam sessions for my vox. The only handheld dynamic I like better for vox is the Sennheiser MD511 (which I value too highly to take out of the bedio - it's one of my go-to's when the furnace keeps kicking on); I own quite a few different mics (addicted) and have tried tons including EV's (I have and have tried a few of their N/D's and they are good, but not as good, IMHO), AKG's, Audix, AT's, Peavey, etc. Almost all are usable, but the Beta58, as said, approaches condensor-land, and is much, much better than the standard 58, itself I call a "standard" like a 57 is.

It's cool to shootout a standard 58 vs. the Beta on snare, BTW; it's a great example of when people say one mic seems "veiled" vs. the other. The Beta does seem clearer and faster ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:17 am

Guys! You hijacked my thread!

Ha. I don't care. I like how the original topic evolved into a natural conversation about something else.

On a related note, I was on the transformerless 57 bandwagon before I even knew it. Way back in the day (say, '95), I traded an engineer a SM58 for a Maya "special 57" which was a shortie 57. I never even used it that much but I later realized they just retrofitted a 57 capsule, minus the tranny, into a smaller package. It's somewhere buried in my mic collection. I probably could get some decent money for it.

I'm just trying to be cool.

I've bought a lot of mics to use on a snare. I like the i5 but I think it picks up a lot more of the kit. I like the punch of a 201 but it needs a bottom mic. I actually prefer it on the bottom. I even got a 451 to use on the snare. Definitely used a 414. But I'm not sure I like condensors there. It all depends. In the end I sleep ok if there's a 57 there.

I haven't done much recording in a while but I've been curious as to what a bidirectional mic, parallel to the shell of the snare would be like. Maybe just to blend in. Maybe I've been out of the game too long to know what practically would work.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 pm

There are, of course, as many ways to mic as there are mic's and mic'ers, but do look up "heart mic", which your mention of "parallel to the shell" reminded me of.

There's a lot of info on that right here on TOMB.

Signed,
yer hi-jacker

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 pm

vvv wrote:There are, of course, as many ways to mic as there are mic's and mic'ers, but do look up "heart mic", which your mention of "parallel to the shell" reminded me of.

There's a lot of info on that right here on TOMB.

Signed,
yer hi-jacker

Ive done the heart thing. With a 635 and an EW30k. Both work pretty well. I only really thought of the side shell 'cause of the opposite polarity of the the mics. I was curious how a 4038 would sound since the top and bottom skins would relate to the + and - lobes of a microphone.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 pm

What's a "EW30k"?

I suspect, if I understand you, that a figure-8 mic parallel to the snare so that it's facing ceiling and floor wouldn't really cancel, as the floor is closer and so it's reflections would not be cancelled?
Last edited by vvv on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Ah. I wrote it wrong. I usually write TC30k. Short for the EarthWorks TC30 Omni.

http://www.earthworksaudio.com/micropho ... ries/tc30/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Ah! I thought mebbe "EV 3000" ... :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.