Beatles, stereo & mono

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

beatlefan1970
audio school graduate

Post by beatlefan1970 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Bloody hell. I haven't been able to commit the entirety of RTB to memory yet, I guess. I was wrong about monitoring in "stereo mono":

"Because stereo was behind in England," recalls Geoff Emerick, "...we just monitored from one speaker..."

Oh well. Thanks for the input, everyone!
"He's had more drugs than you've had hot breakfasts."

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:04 pm

For me as a big Beatles fan, it's really tough to choose stereo or mono for one LP. There's a lot of great mono mixes that had stuff left out of the stereo mixes, and there's also some lousy mono mixes as well (the STEED echo on "Paperback Writer" is really crap compared to the stereo mix). For me, it's all down to which mix was best instead of picking which version of the LP was better. Even that is too hard to choose sometimes since many were very similar.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982