What's in a studio name?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

What's in a studio name?

Post by Sammigz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm having A LOT of trouble deciding on a name! How important is it?
ALL of the cool generic [and even some not-so generic] names are taken, and I can't decide on anything. Should I just pick one and run with it?
Seems to me over the years I've heard many studio names that seemed like they were picked out of a hat. Especially if a studio is named 'Studio 626' or something to that effect.
SO is it really THAT important for a good good name? I understand what happens in the studio, and the quality coming out of the studio, are ten-fold more important than the name, but MAN it's a tough call.

So far I've got:
-Montage of Sound
-Swap Meet Studio
-D7 Recording
-Xams Studio
-Scentless Studio
-Masman Recording

Anyone have opinions on these, or any others to consider? Or another way of creatively coming up with a good one?
Thanks!

-Sam
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:34 pm

i feel your pain. it's like naming a band, really challenging....

i do like a descriptor that gives some sense of your vibe or aesthetic ... it's a chance to make an impression and entice someone to check out your website or whatever so it does matter somewhat IMO.

i think generally you are marketing yourself more than a space too. unless you are some big multi million dollar commercial studio.

so - what are YOU all about?
the new rules : there are no rules

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Swap Meet Studio is cool. You could do some version of a word dip, like flipping to a random page in tapeop mag and finding the twenty third word in the third paragraph, repeat...

mine was easy: i live in a small community called Dancy.
Village Idiot.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:10 pm

The only one of those that really appeals to me is "Montage" and not "Montage of Sound" even.

"Swap Meet" sounds like you'd be open to recording a band's EP in exchange for a Frankensteined Strat clone with 3 strings on it. And you'll throw in "pseudo-mastering" for a Peavey practice amp with a broken reverb tank.

I think the name is actually probably pretty important, unless you're already bringing in more business than you can handle by word of mouth. But I don't really have a secret formula for you. The names I like usually let you know that there's some sort of story behind the name that's going to be interesting, or they're aspirational like "Jackpot!" or they're descriptional somehow, like "Moldy Basement Studios" or "Welcome to 1979," or something.

My advice would be to put yourself in your specific ideal client's shoes (like think of actual bands you wished you'd recorded) and think of names that they would love. Something they would be super excited to mention on Facebook. Like, if you want to cater to punk bands, you might want a different name than if you mostly record bluegrass, or black metal.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
My advice would be to put yourself in your specific ideal client's shoes (like think of actual bands you wished you'd recorded) and think of names that they would love. Something they would be super excited to mention on Facebook. Like, if you want to cater to punk bands, you might want a different name than if you mostly record bluegrass, or black metal.
This.

(My bedio is also known as Feta Central Drinks Dining and Laundry.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:41 pm

My studio is called "the Place Where Musical Ideas Go to Die."
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:14 pm

I hate naming studios? blah..

I lucked out with this one.. My unoriginality helped as well..

Landlord gave me a photo of the building I'm in from the 1930's. It was a grocery store and across the street is Boeing Field so the grocery store was called "Airport Grocery", painted on the front windows (which aren't even here anymore).

So?. yes? my studio is also called "The Airport Grocery".

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:45 am

Mine is called House of Compromise.
I think I got that from Mixerman or one of those legendary dudes.
Ivan the Threadstopper

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:52 am

I don't have a studio, but I set up a production company: Rare Currency Reording. Guess I'll call my studio Rare Currency one day...

Chose it for 2 reasons. like the idea of a coin shaped logo for website, beer coasters, logo on album releases. plus the deeper meaning of finding something truly valuable is a rarity. apparently I'm supposed to make that happen. :shock:

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:00 am

Mine is DoubleDog Recording. And you guessed, the grounds are actively patrolled by... 2 big dogs.

but I also liked the "double dog dare ya" aspect of it as well as it went nicely with my drum tracks service DigitalDrummer... but I did end up changing that to StudioDrumTracks just in case the wife thought I had some kind of thing for double D's. :oops:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:08 am

digitaldrummer wrote:... but I did end up changing that to StudioDrumTracks just in case the wife thought I had some kind of thing for double D's. :oops:
...you totally don't, right honey! :twisted:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:41 pm

The Sonic Vault.

Our old place was in an old office building out of the 40s/50s and one of the rooms actually had a bank vault.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:12 pm

my first clients here named the place for me, that was like 15 years ago.

best studio name ever: legitimate business

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm

I kept the Old House Studio name when I bought the business because the studio has had a great reputation for 18 years, but to be honest, I've never been that nuts about it. People ALWAYS get that name wrong. Just today, I had someone I've known for a long time tell me that they were planning on doing a session with me at Old Town in the near future and one person who's recorded at the studio multiple times in both locations still refers to it as "Old Home."

I think having something that's easy to remember and easy to get a memorable website for is key. One thing that I DO like about the Old House Studio name is that it sort of implies comfort, which is a big thing for us. Also, there's a bit of a story to it, especially now that we're no longer in an old house.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:54 pm

cgarges wrote:story to it, especially now that we're no longer in an old house.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Reminds me of Red House recording studio that was in Lawrence, KS. Eventually moved out of the red house it was in originally, but kept the name... then to be renamed Black Lodge in the early 2000's.