Cover band hell

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:27 am

I don't give a shit about what kind of music I'm playing, as long as the gig is fun for me and is worth doing. If it's a pain in the ass and I don't look forward to it, I'm looking for a graceful exit ASAP. I'll put up with certain things for more money, but I look at it this way:

There are three elements to every gig: The music, the people, and the money. Two out of three of those have to be happening for me to do the gig. If the bread is good and the tunes are fun, but the people are a hassle, I'll put up with it. That's my least favorite combination. If the music is super-rewarding and the gig is easy and the people are awesome to hang out with, I'll likely do the gig for less bread than normal. If the music is bad, but the bread is good and the people are cool, I'll do my damnedest to be the best drummer (or recording engineer) I can for the bad music that these people are enthusiastic about.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:02 pm

I like that analysis, gonna callit, "The Garges 2 outta 3". 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks! Been saying that for years. It really is true for me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah I agree. Great way to look at it.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:40 am

GooberNumber9 wrote:What's funny to me about those Line 6 amps is that I can't figure out what it is about them that sounds so bad, but they always clearly and immediately sound bad. I'm probably just a subconscious analog snob with confirmation bias.
The problem is one of gain structure.

1. Feed those POS boxes with a lower volume.
2. Play WELL. Shit in, shit out. LOL.
3. Try to NOT use their "speaker emulation", there is a switch along the back of the kidney that turns that shit off. It seriously sucks ass.
4. They have HORRIBLE internal headroom. So again, be careful how much effects / EQ / whatnot knob you turn all the way up, including the distortion one.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:41 am

JWL wrote:According to Tommy Tedesco, the four reasons to accept a gig are: for money; for fun; for experience; for connections. Doesn't sound like any of these are being met.

Well, maybe for the connection with the singer. Post divorce. Or hell, give her another reason to get divorced.... :twisted:
This advice, and in that order.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 pm

There's only one good reason to play in a cover band (for me)

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:23 am

vvv wrote:I like that analysis, gonna callit, "The Garges 2 outta 3". 8)
It's a good set of guidelines for sure. Another, and I'm veering away from the OP's topic a bit, is the Good, Fast, Cheap triumvirate. You can only pick two, and you're not going to get the third option.

Let's say you have a project, doesn't really matter what, and you're looking to hire somebody for it. If you want it done fast and to a high level of quality, it's gonna cost you. If you need a short turnaround and don't have a decent budget, the quality is likely to suffer.

Of course there are exceptions, and I'm not advocating doing a shitty job. Garges' post just made me think about this. It might have been mentioned around here before actually...