I'm going back to cds as my primary

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:17 am

I have actually decided to try to go the other way. I want less things around (see MixWizard in Buy/Sell/Trade). After five years or so of sporadically collecting vinyl, I think my preference is now downloads - preferably lossless (not that I can hear a difference, it just makes me feel better).

I found this funny though. I went to preorder Jason Isbell's new record this AM from Amazon (I know I should support my local maw and paw). My options were $8.00 for CD, $9.49 for MP3, or $29.97!!!! for vinyl. I got the CD. So much for my new-found quest for minimalism. Never would've worked out anyway.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:15 am

Wish we hadda " local maw and paw" in my suburb ...

Hell, I work downtown in the 2nd or 3rd biggest city and there's no music stores. :evil:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 am

vvv wrote:Wish we hadda " local maw and paw" in my suburb ...

Hell, I work downtown in the 2nd or 3rd biggest city and there's no music stores. :evil:
There's still a Rolling Stone Records at Harlem and Irving.

And Jazz Record Mart downtown.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Huh; I did not know about Jazz Record Mart; that's almost convenient as I work in the Loop. RS is not, altho' I remember fondly when they and a successor were on Washington near Wells; FYI (formerly Coconuts) closed earlier this year as did the one by the college down on Wabash.

Thanx for the tip!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.