Suggestions for basement studio closet?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jdk90042
audio school graduate

Suggestions for basement studio closet?

Post by jdk90042 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Setting up a small project studio in my new home - far from ideal acoustically, but it's what I have to work with. 7'3"H :roll: x 11'3"W x 12'4"L (there's a full width closet opposite the entry door with 6' accordion doors, so the true length maybe should be 14'7"?). Mainly mixing, but some tracking of whatever I can get away with, small perc, vocal, acoustic strings etc. Wide variety of styles, nothing super loud, lots of work for picture. Walls/ceiling are poorly insulated sheetrock,floor is thin engineered wood on slab. Until I can afford real structural work, I'm just looking to optimize with some treatments. There's a window in one long wall, keeping it in front of mix, and have to say a view is worth the bleed and any reflection in this case.

My questions:
Anybody have thoughts on the best use of the end closet? (or the room in general)

I'm thinking:
Use side wings as semi-isolated machine room, rack gear and random storage.
-Remove doors? Replace?
-Use shelves or build rack units into the walls and cut patchbay through the wall?
-ULine wire shelves are tempting for speed and perfect fit, but would they act like a big hum antenna for computers and rack gear?
-Use closet wall to mount a video monitor? (GIK's Bryan Pape suggested my mix position would be better along the long wall though, so that puts picture monitor at 90 degrees, so maybe not)
-Ideas I haven't thought of?

Here are a couple of photos and a 20 second reference video showing the whole room:
http://jdkeith.com/jdkeith.com/studio

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:48 pm

Never underestimate your need for storage. That said, you probably need the extra floor space a little more. I don't know. Maybe storage on either side of the closet and leave the middle empty so you can use it as part of the main room.