green glue w/ double sheetrock VS resilient channel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ass engineer

green glue w/ double sheetrock VS resilient channel

Post by 1964 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:22 am

Hey y'all,

I'm still planning my rehearsal / recording space, and have run into my next question.

I have a wall that is already sheetrocked. I am wondering if I can just put green glue on a second layer of sheetrock, stagger the sheetrock seams, and attach it (will that be good enough???), OR....

if I need to remove the existing 1st layer of sheetrock and implement genie clips and resilient channel. I've just been watching video on the genie clips and they say they are better than just resilient channel because they don't short out (create a physical contact with wall I guess) as easily when installing them. It seemed like a good product... anyway, just wondering if there are any opinions on the two options. - just green glue in between a 2nd sheetrock layer, OR rc and genie clips.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:06 pm

I think the short answer is "both/and" will be way better than "either/or". But there might be budgetary constraints.
Is the wall insulated? If not, there's your reason to tear off the existing rock. RC to decouple, rock/gg/rock to dampen... But one wall of awesomeness does not a soundproof room make. If the other walls and ceiling and subfloor frames connect to that wall's framing, there's your flanking/shorting paths. Solving that might, again, run into budgetary constraints.
Why just the one wall? Is it an exterior wall? If so, what style construction? If not, what's on the other side?
Village Idiot.

ass engineer

Post by 1964 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for the response Floid.

here are some pictures. the first picture shows the tall main wall that I was talking about. This wall is a border to a laundry room area, that other people will use. I think they'll just have to hear music when they are doing laundry... oh well.

But, I do want to isolate all of these walls with resilient channel / green glue I guess (you're right, I should just do both I suppose). Because that wall on the right side with a dark opening, is the wall to the rehearsal area (2nd picture). The dark opening is where I want to put a 36" solid core door to enter into the studio.

So, lots of walls going on and yes I want to work all of them into the soundproofing scheme. My main goal is to keep sound from bothering my neighbors (this shed is isolated, no common walls with anyone). The laundry room I will live with. No way around that. And I doubt the tenants will care too much.

But I guess what I am trying to say is that if I want to do this right, every wall will need to be on res channel. here are some pix. thanks for responding!

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:06 am

In theory, yes you want to decouple your internal wall and ceiling planes from your structure.

I don't know anything about genie clips in particular....they do look very similar to other clips. And I'm sure they will perform as such.

Personally, I do not recommend clips for most projects for 3 reasons. 1. Price...they are expensive. 2. They eat up space and 3. Generally their performance is 1-3 stc points better than deitrich RC 1.

1-3 stc points translates into a barely audible difference in system performance.

Shorting out any decoupling system is very easy to avoid. If I were going to recommend clips I'd strongly suggest green glue clips. They are low profile and have been proven to be at the top of the clip performance scale.

You can expect significant gains in a system with decoupling vs. No decoupling. However, wether you use clips or rc will neither make or break your room.

ass engineer

Post by 1964 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 am

norton, thanks so much.

That is great info and helps me out a lot.

If I decouple the walls and ceiling, do I need to do anything with the floor?

It is like a concrete slab / garage floor.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:14 pm

In short I'd say no. You are in an isolated space etc.

If you had a limitless budget and were building from scratch it might be wise to float the slab

Is that slab connected to any other structure you want to isolate sonically?

Concrete can and will transmit physical vibrations (tapping noises etc). But it might be easier to physically decouple your drums and/or your bass rig from the floor than isolating your slab.

Sure looks like a cool space!

ass engineer

Post by 1964 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:53 am

Ok, great. That's good news. One less thing to worry about.
No it is not connected to any other structure that I want to isolate. Just the laundry room, but I'm not going to worry about that. It will be fine.

Interesting on decoupling the drums and bass from the slab. Great idea.
Sure looks like a cool space!
Thank you! I am excited and hope that I can pull it off somehow. I'm attaching a pic of the outside. Yes, it looks like a POS, but will be a lot better when I'm done. Thanks again for the help.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:31 am

You might also want to decouple the washer/dryer from the slab too. If that's an option.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ass engineer

Post by 1964 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Good thought. Thank you!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:55 am

Get Rod's book "Home Studios How To build it like the pros"
It covers every different way to do this and he analyzes all the currently available products that have real test data with them.

It's the best $20 bucks you could ever spend.

Doing it right the first time is a whole lot cheaper than doing it again.

ass engineer

Post by 1964 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank you, I bought a copy and am reading it as I can. Great book!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:08 pm

excellent.
great info in there.
debunks many a myth.