Testing a potential space for RF and noise

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Testing a potential space for RF and noise

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Anybody have experience or good advice on testing a commercial space for hidden deal-breakers like dirty power, RF/electromagnetic interference, acoustical challenges, etc.?

The space I'll be looking at is in an old but remodeled 6-business building (mostly unoccupied) in a quiet mostly residential neighborhood.

Any other wisdom about renting a recording space and starting a business is appreciated!

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:13 pm

take a tube amp and a electric guitar with single coil pickups. see if it buzzes or how badly.

take a radio and see if you can get AM station reception or is it all overwhelmed by static. listen next to the sub panel.

go when it's likely to be busiest around that location and see how much external sound there is with the doors and windows closed. low freq noise like trucks on the road will be hard to get rid of later. higher pitched noises are easier to eliminate.
the new rules : there are no rules

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:18 am

I used to have a space in a warehouse complex, and the electrical noise from other spaces, such as a skill saw, would sometimes find its way into my audio. It might be nice to find out who's sharing breaker panel space with you, and what they're powering.
Village Idiot.