RIP Andrew Loomis of Dead Moon

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

RIP Andrew Loomis of Dead Moon

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:27 pm

Ahhhh, jeez. This one really gets me. I arrived late to the Dead Moon thing, but I think they're the great American Rock and Roll band. The kings of DIY. They found a way, and one day they'll be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame I have no doubt.

Having seen Fred and Toody play by themselves and with Kelly Halliburton in Pierced Arrows, I have to say it's just not the same feel without Andrew. Those three played as one, like the Wailers or something. Forgive me for that kind of comparison because the music is so different, but I love any band where everyone can play as one, just instinctively feeling each other.

They made a bunch of albums that I'll listen to forever, pressed with Fred's mono lathe, the same one that pressed Louie Louie. Northwest history folks.

There's a whole generation of people who don't even exist yet that will find their way to this music. They'll find all the heart and soul that they're looking for. The great antidote to so much programmatic nonsense.

Fred's health isn't so good, so try to see Fred and Toody if you can. This band will live forever though.

Andrew just had a feel. Those three fit so perfectly together.

If you've never heard of them and want to rock your ass off and hear what pure Rock and Roll ingenuity sounds like, (one of our greatest songwriters too) check out Dead Moon.

RIP Andrew. You'll be remembered for a long time.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown ... n-has-died
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Dead Moon were a huge philosophical influence. This is sad and unexpected news.
Village Idiot.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:48 pm

really too bad. they were a pure, sincere and brilliant high point of a genre full of slick, boring shit.