mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:03 pm

:worthy: :worthy:

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Thanks!

Post by alexdingley » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:45 pm

VVV and MRC ??I appreciate it. I hope that I do nearly as nice work in the audio realm once I get moved into the space upstairs.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

and we have console!

Post by alexdingley » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:06 pm

Boy am I glad to have this out of the basement!

Cutting the curved top to hug the console was tricky & required a few passes with the jig-saw & sander

sinking the console into the desk feels pretty good???I think I got a really ergonomic working height.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:17 am

Looks great! Really stinking great!

But you are going to want to seriously decouple your speakers from that shelf. Evil low end rumbling mud will want to live there and pollute your ears.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:46 pm

Also, I detect a distinct lack of lava lamp. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Fear not ??I got pads

Post by alexdingley » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Oh, Norton... Thanks! & I have a pair of Auralex MoPads in a box... just haven't finished unpacking. Good lookin' out, though!

VVV???I'll get right on that lamp issue.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Basking in the majesty!!

Post by alexdingley » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Getting some Auralex up on the walls + my RPG diffusor panels.

And the control-room section is now done (pending any final tweaks that seem needed after more critical listening:

And one truly important finishing touch...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:15 pm

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:53 am

Not trying to be a downer........but It's almost a shame to put foam like that up in your space. You've got diy skills....I'd strongly suggest looking into pressure based limp mass (membrane) low end absorbers.

The Aurelex stuff really only excels at softening up highs...which is easy to do. None of their products can extend down into useful target zones that small rooms all suffer from. (Sub 100hz).

Also RPGs are fantastic, but may not be necessary or crucial to your newly finished space. Your angled ceiling walls are already dispersing sound in a very different way than parallel walls do.

Have you looked into room eq wizard or fuzzmeasure? Always a good idea to get a picture of what's happening in your space, acoustically speaking... Then you can specifically tackle the specific issues that are unique to your space.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:46 pm

At the very least, make a cd or mp3 or whatever of some test tones and blast them out your monitors at your monitoring level and move around your room. It is incredibly illuminating. Acoustically. Start low. You can use a flat mic to monitor the sound levels visually too.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

All good thoughts!

Post by alexdingley » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:12 pm

I sincerely appreciate the input & especially so when it's a possible downer. I'd love to avoid as many mistakes as possible. I'm likely nowhere near done with the treatment of the room. Finding a way to get to get better wide-band absorption in my limited available space is definitely on deck. I'll be doing some sweeps & burst tests. I have a friend who works in acoustics, (he gave me the RPG in trade for some work) and I'll have him shoot the room a bit with his RTA etc...

I've been doing some listening up here and so far... I'm quickly spotting my nodes/antinodes.

Any advice / links to DIY absorber projects would be totally awesome.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 pm

norton wrote:Not trying to be a downer........but It's almost a shame to put foam like that up in your space. You've got diy skills....I'd strongly suggest looking into pressure based limp mass (membrane) low end absorbers.
Is this EPDM roofing material the same stuff you're talking about in those limp mass absorbers? It seems really affordable for a DIY project. I did a quick "ask-jeeves" and found a GearSlutz thread about making absorbers with that stuff & a couple searches later found that by the roll.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:58 am

You can use Epdm..... Generally I use mlv for this purpose. But any membrane with some weight to it will be beneficial.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Cool, thanks!

Post by alexdingley » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:38 am

Great???I'll look into it. A buddy of mine might split a roll of something with me? we'll probably team up to make some traps / baffle-boxes

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Had leftovers

Post by alexdingley » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:45 am

So, there was a bunch of Oak Plywood & quarter-round oak trim left over from my desktop... and I sorta ran out of rack room in the desk itself... since I recently acquired some dbx compressors, I made a side-car. ?? later this week I'll put some feet together for it and have it at a mostly face-up angle.