synchronizing beds with a live recording HALP

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:36 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Welcome to the wonderful World of unsynced audio.
Indeed!

People always tell me that I'm crazy when I say that two unconnected audio recording devices frequently DO NOT lock up when you try to sync them later. I've seen this TIME AND TIME AGAIN when mixing live stuff where they're either trying to sync to video or if there is audio coming from different sources. For example, one live album that I mixed involved a 24 track recording from an Alesis HD24, but they didn't get any room mics. Fortunately, a friend of the band had recorded the show on a Zoom or Edirol or something similar-- 24-bit WAV files, no less! He sent me his (continuous) file of the entire show, which I then dropped into place at the top and had a totally great-sounding, workable stereo recording of the room (and audience). Every few songs, however, the drift was noticeable, so I would chop his audio, re-align it, and mix away. This worked fine for room mics against the close mics on stage, but would have been a real nightmare had it been a different source for, say, the overhead mics or direct vs. miked bass or something.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC