Do you ride drums in a mix?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:48 pm

Yeah. Usually I'll get a solid, rough, static mix with perhaps more compression than I'll use on the final mix. Then I'll add automation to restore some dynamics, and often back off on the compressors some.

Depends on the mix though....

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 am

Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

Post by oneflightup » Thu May 19, 2016 5:08 am

So long as your dynamics are reasonably controlled with compressors, then I usually find I don't need to ride the faders much, if at all.
As a general rule, I only ever do anything in the studio if it *needs* to be done. I'm a big believer in "less is more" and not overcomplicating things, or doing things for no real reason.
Of course, if the track needs the drums up in a certain spot, then sure, I'll do it. But otherwise, I don't see why the overall general level of the drums needs to keep going up and down in a track. If that was needed - then surely the drummer would have played the part that way. In which case, the drummer has done the 'riding' of levels (dynamics), so I don't need to mess with it.
In general I think people 'fiddle' with things in the studio too much, when at the end of the day, it's not necessary.

My 2 cents :)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu May 19, 2016 10:53 pm

oneflightup wrote:So long as your dynamics are reasonably controlled with compressors, then I usually find I don't need to ride the faders much, if at all.
As a general rule, I only ever do anything in the studio if it *needs* to be done. I'm a big believer in "less is more" and not overcomplicating things, or doing things for no real reason.
Of course, if the track needs the drums up in a certain spot, then sure, I'll do it. But otherwise, I don't see why the overall general level of the drums needs to keep going up and down in a track. If that was needed - then surely the drummer would have played the part that way. In which case, the drummer has done the 'riding' of levels (dynamics), so I don't need to mess with it.
In general I think people 'fiddle' with things in the studio too much, when at the end of the day, it's not necessary.

My 2 cents :)
Just checked out your site, that mural above the desk is super nice.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

Post by oneflightup » Fri May 20, 2016 1:03 am

Thanks Rigsby!
It came from Ikea of all places!

Nick ;)