Let's talk recording-only guitars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:31 pm

A black Squier Tele that I put an extension nut on and set up like a lap-steel. I have to wind the lowest string backward to balance the force of the other strings and keep the nut in place.

Also replaced the bridge pickup with some kind of small humbucker (I think it was Seymour Duncan?), But kept the "lipstick" pickup. Very fun to play tuned low with fuzz.

I could take a picture if anyone cares.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:47 pm

We like pictures!

I also have one of those nut-extenders - very cool for slide, yep - never thought of that reverse-wind thing what I'll hafta try. 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:50 pm

My buddy inspired me with his Frankin-tele. I bought a Squire vintage modern jazzmaster for like two hundred bones, and then outfitted it with Lollar pickups and a Mastery bridge. Thing played like a dream and sounded amazing. Then some jerk stole it out of my car. :cry:

OlScrapIron
studio intern

Post by OlScrapIron » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:55 pm

I love this thread. Lately I cannot keep my hands off this little guy, my 90's Ibanez Talman.

http://imgur.com/BJAxyhu

I also use this little beast, a Korean Tele, quite a bit. Coil tapping it makes it sound pretty strat-like, so I hardly ever play my strat...

http://imgur.com/m2VNpnr

edit: don't judge my carpet... that little dog is actually a Tasmanian devil....

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:56 am

The one guitar I have almost always used in a recording is my MIM Stratocaster.
It has the Eric Clapton electronics(TBX Tone and volume boost), and Lace Sensor Gold pickups.

Love it.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

darnell
takin' a dinner break

Post by darnell » Sat May 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Schecter TSH-1 from the late 90's. Semi hollow with a jb style duncan design stock PU in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. When you need a darker, rock sound, this thing delivers. Also delivers when you use both pickups at lower gain.

Warmoth parts Esquire with a Broadcaster PU. Just a no frills, great guitar that is really fun to play. Lots of tonal options for just having 1 PU. Stacks well with my LP.

87 Gibson LPC- It does what it should. It's not subtle with volume at 10, but has a range of tones when you fiddle with the knobs. 490 neck/500t br. I swapped bridge PU monthly, depending on who/what I am using it for. I have a BB2 and a wolfetone timbre that go in it on the regular.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun May 07, 2017 10:14 am

I found one of those prototype Korean harmony Rockets a Russian shop had. Played it in and immediately bought it for $250. Doesn't sound like any other guitar. Plays really well. Volume & tone for three pickups and a selector switch for 1 2 3 or ALL

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 am

I have a offset by Revelation under US$300, with Entwhistle P90's and they sound very cool. Guitar has a rotary switch to change caps, plus 2 pups and and a tone control - lotsa variation. But I might could stage it ...

I also bought a Xavier LP-type used for about US$100 that's like a Thinline. The "lighter" sounds (as opposed to Fender or Gibson) can record really well. I wouldn't stage it, I don't think, but I've recorded songs with 4-5 guitar tracks with each of these, happy with the sounds.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.