PSA -- Fake Shure microphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

PSA -- Fake Shure microphones

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:15 pm

public service announcement

I know better and I got fooled by this anyway. I recently bought a "barely used" Shure Beta52a on eBay and it was a fake. do some research and it's pretty easy to tell -- especially once you have the fake and real mics side by side (and yes, $205 later I have a genuine Beta52a from my local Guitar Center).

so here is one eBay seller to avoid for sure -- martius_s1sw6m -- his Paypal says he is Richard Martinez

I got lucky and he sent me a full refund. This guy has sold a bunch of them too. So just be aware it's not just SM58's anymore. They are copying all kinds of Shure mics.

the sad thing is I'm pretty sure most of these folks don't even realize they got a fake.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:29 pm

That guy took down his stuff, it appears.

To see what he does, look here.

I got bit on 3 SM57's a cuppla years ago - when I complained, guy ret'd my $ and let me keep the mic's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:21 am

I found several physical differences between them, but they are subtle. Sound-wise, the mic is not horrible, but it is much more hyped in the 2-4K range than a real 52a and it's got a little less of the furthest low end reach. So the funny thing is, for a live performance, it may actually be pre-EQ'd just right for some PA systems. I'm sure he's making a killing off these and all those sales you listed are to poor saps who have no idea (otherwise they would cancel/return the deal and not get to leave feedback and not be listed there)
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:37 am

Quite a cottage-industry of scams there, aided and abetted by the Ebog.

FWIW, I recently bought an amp offa guy that never sent it. He returned the money after I filed the dispute, and I was still able to complain about his thievin' arse.

"Thievin'" I says, because he had the use of my money for about a month, and I hadda fight to get it back.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Hit 'em in the wallet!!!!

Post by lifeintime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:57 am

As a service to everyone, I just forwarded a link to this thread to legal@shure.com as follows:

Greetings!

I?m passing this information along to you in hopes that you can stop the sale of counterfeit Shure microphones on eBay.

The following recent link is from a forum thread that is part of the TapeOp community. TapeOp is one of the most respected serious studio engineering magazines in the USA and has many Grammy award winning contributors. In other words, credible.

<link> but sent to Shure.

Cheers!
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 am

I had already called them and asked them if they wanted any info about the seller or the mic itself and they said no. Kind of surprising but their response is pretty much "buy from an authorized dealer". Maybe the quantities are too small for their lawyers to care about and I suppose they don't really care about anything advertised as "used" since it doesn't increase their revenues a bit. but now that I know how to tell the difference it's amazing how many fakes are out there on eBay. so in some ways I have to agree with Shure. if you want a guarantee that it's not counterfeit, buy new from a dealer and take your lumps. If you want a "deal" then you are probably getting a fake (like I did). :oops:
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:09 am

Not be a contrarian, altho' I can't help usually being one, but re-sale value, IMNSHFO is something to be considered when buying new.

Why would I buy a SM57 new, if no one will buy it if/when I want to change it out?

And by the same analysis, why would I buy one used, when I can get a different brand's similar model with less likelihood of it being fake? (KSM 27 vs. Senn Mk4 come to mind, and while I use my Beta 58 constantly, I could easily replace it with a Senn MD 500 series, or an EV 700 or 800 series, etc.; I've never tried the SM52, but I sure won't replace my E602 with it any time soon.)

And I do not know, but I think it's quite possible that the farming out of manufacturing to countries that don't respect trademarks, copyrights and patents may add to the issue, altho' I don't think Shure manufactures in China?

Still, the increased possibility of a used Shure mic being a fake would certainly seem to be something to be considered in valuing a new one for purchase; it's disappointing, if that is the reason, that 'they don't really care about anything advertised as "used" '.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.