RIP, Leonard Cohen

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

RIP, Leonard Cohen

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:53 am

Leonard Cohen, RIP

While there are some elderly performers who have become "greatest hits" acts (some much younger ones, also), and some have just sort of cruised, others have won a Nobel, or could/should have.

Leonard Cohen's latest CD was delivered to me the day he died and I did not listen to it, or any of his music that day to any great extent, because I want to give it the attention and time it always deserves.

While I never saw him in person, I treasure his recent performance DVD's for their great musicianship, songs, and not least for Cohen's own emotive performance. Not to mention his banter.

With Neil Young, Dylan, Willie Nelson, the deceased Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard and so many others, they allow popular music to age gracefully, and make that part of life part of an unabashed part of their music, continuing to write and to perform with a consistency of quality and vitality that was perhaps unexpected in their genres, but so fucking welcome.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:18 am

Yeah, it's funny, I had just heard his latest record on the local college station the week before he died. His continued cultural relevance is nothing short of astounding.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 pm

And his last record is very good, mebbe great, I do say.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.