Left Hand Jack (1/4")

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Left Hand Jack (1/4")

Post by Drone » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:39 pm

This is an odd one, I was replacing a bad jack in a pedal, and I pulled a jack out of an old amp board someone had given me, as I didn't have any of those 'headphone switching' style jacks with PCB pins.

All went smoothly, replacement jack came out of it's board cleanly, the one to be replaced came out cleanly, the replacement one went in fine.

Power it up, no sound, nothing, take it apart to see if I bollocksed up a wire somewhere, looks OK, until I notice, the output jack has it's live contacts on the right, as you look at it front on. The replacement jack has it's live contacts on the left. I looked at the donor board, all the jacks are the same, backward to every other jack I've seen.

So I ran some shorting links across it, works now, but weird .
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:02 pm

That's a a stoner rock pedal, see.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Sounds to me like you mounted it on the wrong side of the board. It's not lefty, it's Australian.
Village Idiot.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Well the amp is a KLM?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Ha! KLM is tangentially related to MFJ, a ham radio place local to me. In their world an xlr is 4-pin; bet there's a lot of other alternative standards now and in the past of that parallel world.
Ever run across those boxy looking pcb mount trs jacks that have the pins and normals laid out in a zig zag pattern? Think it's something like
T Ref pin
- TN
R RN
Ref S
Confusing as hell.
Village Idiot.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:26 am

My bad sorry. KLM is the Dutch Airlines which I have flown on. The amp which I salvaged the part from is a KMD.

Good call on the stoner pedal, it's an old black Russian Muff, the only good sounding Muff I've encountered. However it had it's jacks the standard way around, it's the KMD that is weird.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm

You can usually squeeze those contacts out of there and mix&match as needed. At one point I'd bought a big bag of TS versions, and ended up making some TRS jacks out of them by transplanting contacts.

Traditionally Re'an made these jacks, but I'd imagine there are lots of clones now.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Yeah, I have a nice bag of REAN but they were wire mount, so they had loops not pins :(