Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 am

You're a brave man. I'm more than willing to hack away at electronics but guitar work scares me.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:08 am

Yeah, I really love this guitar (it's a Revelation offset with Alan Entwhistle pick-ups, a kinda perfected jazzmaster) and as it's new it has a perfect finish.

But the damn fret-ends are annoying so I'm soon gonna habve a martini and then file away at it, especially since I spent the US$50 or so on the tools for that purpose.

FWIW, I also bought a Revelation Bass VI without that issue.

Oh, and my latest purchases are a Earthquaker Organizer (cool organ-emulater pedal), A Sterling 6050 (the Alan Sides Ocean Way FET), and a little Ampeg B108 bass practice amp, what records deliciously, especially with that Bass VI, and the Organizer pedal sounds great with 'em!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Warm Mastering
audio school

Post by Warm Mastering » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:01 am

I've just bought an ART PRO VLA II opto compressor, but I have to try it yet!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:34 pm

I got the A Designs Hammer this month the version 2 model..

So far Mastered an EP and used it on a drum buss

It's tight AF

everything gets done faster .. great tool

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Got another Tascam 388 today...broken and cheap but I feel like I can get this one going... Even came with the books!

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Just picked up nine SM57s, nine tabletop mic stands and seven 20' cables for $225 in an online auction. They were the in PA system for a local town's city council chambers. Look absolutely brand new.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 pm

Always wanted an udu drum, and I finally got one! It's a Meinl, made of mango wood. They only made those for a few years. It doesn't have the ringing quality of the clay ones... not better or worse, just different. I like it.

Then, shortly after getting that, I was walking home and saw some stuff that was left out for people to take (or go in the trash). Among other things I wasn't interested in was a nice wooden cigar box, and a large glass vase almost exactly the same shape as my udu. So I made a hole in the side, and it sounds great... more like a traditional ceramic udu than my wood one.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:08 pm

VERY cool. I want one (of each).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 am

Found a green face Altec 1678 for $50 at a local electronics surplus warehouse. Someone had replaced all the female xlr inputs with male xlr. It took me a while to find replacements that fit. Beyond that I wired in 20db pads and did the direct out mods suggested by RodC in an ancient thread.
It's pretty great. The output is a bit low but if I run my adat ins at -10 it's perfect.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:36 pm

ubertar wrote:Always wanted an udu drum, and I finally got one! It's a Meinl, made of mango wood. They only made those for a few years. It doesn't have the ringing quality of the clay ones... not better or worse, just different. I like it.

Then, shortly after getting that, I was walking home and saw some stuff that was left out for people to take (or go in the trash). Among other things I wasn't interested in was a nice wooden cigar box, and a large glass vase almost exactly the same shape as my udu. So I made a hole in the side, and it sounds great... more like a traditional ceramic udu than my wood one.

Bongs. Those are bongs.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:17 am

Just rec'd a new 1x12" cab, but the driver is blown. Seller from the Ebog did the right thing, and I just ordered a Kappa to repurpose the cab from guitar to bass practice.

Gotta EBS multi-drive - very nice and useable on guitar or bass.

Bought a bunch of outlet extensions as I am re-wiring the bedio after a drain back-up incident. Bought a dolly to put under my equip. rack, also. 4 partial days of clean-up and re-wiring. And I hadd buy a new UPS battery. :x

Also recently bought Reaper, and Izotope Elements for quick "masturding".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 pm

I recently got a Bock Ifet and it's been blowing me away on bass amp and kick - as well as vocals and acoustic guitar. wow. round and full but not muddy.

kind of on a guitar pedal kick too - got a ZVEX lofi junky - weird and warpy - I love it.
the new rules : there are no rules

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 am

I bought a Zvex pedal earlier this year - the Distrotron, and really love it. That's a really good pedal company, IMO.

I have a Little Bear clone of the Wooley Mammoth and while I've never tried a real one, like that, also. They are pretty unique distortions, usable on both bass and guitar, but especially cool on bass.

It is, BTW, my only indie clone - I just can't afford a real WM. That said, of course, legit companies clone others, ex., the Rocktron Austin Gold is like a Centaur as is the Rockett Archer, various Way Huge Pedals are like B-Muffs and/or Rats, even the MXR Distortion + is a variation on the DOD 250 (like a clone plus distortion via germanium vs. silcon diodes) ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:59 am

I got an sE V7. I've only used it on guitar so far, but it sounds good.