parallel compression using a console

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hollowidolrec
audio school

parallel compression using a console

Post by hollowidolrec » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:47 am

trying to figure how to mult the signal. do I run out of the direct out of one channel into another? or do I need a special cable? whats the easiest way?thanks

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi,

Basically, what you want to do is have two identical signal chains, except on one you will add the compressor to it.

You can use mults on the patchbay in order to split the output of your tape machine / DAW into more than one console input.

The general rule of thumb for multis is taking ONE output, and splitting it into many inputs, is ok, but NOt the other way around, ie multiple outputs into ONE input.

Chers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 pm

The way I've done it is to put a compressor on an aux buss then you can easily balance how much of which tracks go to the parallel comp.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:12 pm

What Nick said. If your patchbay is set up so that your daw/ tape machine's outs are half-normalled to your mixer line ins, you can obtain a mult by patching from the non-breaking point on one channel, to your compressor, to the breaking point on another channel. Alternatively, you can create a dedicated mult on two channels of your patchbay using jumpers in back so that patching into any point mults to the other three - for when you need dual parallel :D. Noise/ impedance/ drive capability issues can arise if you create too many mults from one source, some manuals address this.
Note that this is a good reason to have a mixer with more channels than your capture medium's track count.
Village Idiot.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:16 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:The way I've done it is to put a compressor on an aux buss then you can easily balance how much of which tracks go to the parallel comp.
In a pinch, that can work too. However, for purists, you end up passing the signal through a lot more circuitry.

Some prosumer consoles can get really noisy as soon as you use parallel processing with them. Your mileage may vary.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:59 pm

I would use bus outs on my console. Especially when I wanted to have a drum group parallel.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:12 am

drumsound wrote:I would use bus outs on my console. Especially when I wanted to have a drum group parallel.[/quote

Or put the comp on the insert of a sub group. I've got an Alesis micro limiter permanently wired to sub 1-2 on my console. I bus the drums there as well as to the 2 mix and then sneak the sub group fader up till things sound good.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm

An Interpol fan, are ya?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 pm

vvv wrote:An Interpol fan, are ya?
Nope. I just like trashy.