Pedal geeking

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Pedal geeking

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:52 pm

OK, I kow it's not prob'ly cool here, but damn, I thinlk they are, and pretty, too:

Bass Board for noise:

Bass board for home:

Gtr board 1:

Gtr board for noise:

Bass board 1:

Bass board extension (loop pedal not shown):
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:59 pm

awesome! yr a fiend triple V - I don't even know what 1/2 those do

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 pm

:lol:

I do, of course, tho' I confess that many are basically variations on a theme. There are, for example, a number of overdrives, just as there are a number of filter pedals, and delays, etc.

I have a few more that are not shown, too. For example, over the years I bought cheap Dano pedals to do 1 thing on one song, which they did, but they are not really board-worthy. Then there are the wah pedals. I also have some pedals from the late 80's that are reverse ground with odd jacks, etc. And I have a couple 120v. and 18v. pedals ...

But I find 'em inspirational and fun, and I try to only buy under US$100, or 40% list, and often much cheaper.

And yet, thinking aloud here, there's 50 some pedals shown, at US$50 a piece - I must be fucking nuts. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:08 am

yes ! I've trying more pedals as aux blend dirt tracks on mixes lately .. they are very inspiring tbh i don't have many and would really like more (who wouldn't !?!?!?! - only someone seriously not fun)

here is my big pedal accomplishment I can share

http://agatha-christie-fanclub.tumblr.c ... 8628839676

http://agatha-christie-fanclub.tumblr.c ... 8628888129

a couple of vids of a Boss DS-1 I modified for sound and gave a cosmetic makeover

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm

You sure did!

I've never mod'ed a pedal, (other than repairs or to change the power jacks or battery clips) just bought another, but nice job there; I often read how the DS1 is not considered very good, stock.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm

ya it wasn't too hot sounding

now it's great

i did the mods on it that are out there on the web and it's much nicer now

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:26 am

Got on a pedal modding kick a few weeks ago
Added a silicone/ none/ germanium diode switch and "resistor mod" switch to my Rat. Very useful. It's been my main pedal for 20 years and i've fallen in love all over again. Guitar, bass, drum room, etc.
Did the cap swap and germanium upgrade on a Joyo Voodoo fuzz and it actually became useful. Needs a better tone control, but that cheap pcb is a pita to work on.
Added a cap to a BBW Optostomp that gets rid of the annoying clicky hash. Meh, still sucks.
Tuned my mxr 117 flanger for reduced clock noise and swapped out the mains cord for an 18v jack that quietens things up.
Added a 100% wet switch to my carbon copy.

Just got a Robotalk pedal to experiment on, i'd like to have a way to switch from the noise transistor to my Univox drum machine in arpegiattor mode.
Also have plans for the crybaby.
Village Idiot.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 am

I used a 3 way toggle in my custom fuzz. One is silicon, one is germanium, the third is asysmetrical germanium, 3 diodes.

The opamp pedels use either a OPA1642 for quality or a TL072 for grit (used in the fuzzer).

Most of my home mades are built with Dale CMF resistors and Wima film caps. I don't like hiss.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 am

My rat has the lm308, which seems to be the traditional rat choice. Do you think it would be worth possibly damaging it during removal to install a socket for experimentation? Liking the dirty drive I get from the no diode position.
Village Idiot.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 am

Install a machined IC socket and play. The 071 will generate more upper harmonics. For a smoother sound, try an old RCA CA3040 opamp. It's all fets inside, no bipolar transistors.

Funny, the opamps I mostly remove from recording consoles (the 072 series) generate the best distortion harmonics in a fuzz tone. That doesn't say much for their console usage.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades