vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 am

Ultrasonic RC on that Heath TT?
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Good question. Found this from an online ADC manual :

FYI I don't own an ADC Accutrac 4000, I just thought it was a unique take on turntable design and an interesting piece.
Shuffle function on a turntable. Kind of overkill, but high tech looking in a '70s James Bond kind of way with all the buttons.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:52 am

I think the right button combination set-off the plastique hidden in Bloefeld's lair...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Gregg! You found your way back.

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, (click!) I expect you to..(click!) Die!..(Click!Click!Click!)
Damn it was working a minute ago. I'll be right back."
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm

How to store 1800 albums...

Last edited by shedshrine on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 am

Unintentional Double Post Deleted. Maybe this place is a little too efficient now?

GJ
Last edited by Gregg Juke on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 am

Hah!!! I love the rack gear as bookends (that hold vinyl not books).

I too have been a busy music shopper since last I haunted the tomb... Perhaps I'll get around to posting pix of the vinyl and CD hauls of the last nine months. But just this morning, I grabbed about 16 Blue Notes (and a few Prestiges) and a Curtis and the Impressions collection on CD; last week a Coltrane box set (also on CD, but packaged as those cool little Japanese "mini albums")-- one location of a storied local record outlet is going out-of-business and they have reduced prices to 50% off to try to move/consolidate inventory.

Local retail and music culture's loss is my personal gain...

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:10 pm

The Velveeta Zone

I like to put this stuff on once in awhile, partially because some of this primordial moog stuff sounds unintentionally disturbing in an alternate universe twilight zone meets David Lynch kind of way. Like you are hearing it in a small town where automaton denizens smile mechanically with glassy eyes. Or not. Maybe you just hear creative early use of the moog to make popular music. Ymmv.

Sy Mann - Switched on Santa or wait til December..

Mort Garson - Electronic Hair Pieces more interesting than above anyway

One of my favorite moog albums also features prominent mellotron, Tangerine Dream's
"Phaedra". One cut in particular really made an impression on me listening for the first time with headphones late at night,
Edgar Froese's "Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares"

As one utuber put it. "This music makes me imagine the last remnant of a dying earth having some how discovered a portal to another world where they will make a new start and this is the music playing as the last few of them are entering the portal, leaving the earth humanless behind them forever."

According to Froese: "Phaedra was the first album in which many things had to be structured. The reason was that we were using the Moog sequencer (all driving bass notes) for the first time. Just tuning the instrument took several hours each day, because at the time there were no pre-sets or memory banks.

We worked each day from 11 o'clock in the morning to 2 o'clock at night. By the 11th day we barely had 6 minutes of music on tape. Technically everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The tape machine broke down, there were repeated mixing console failures and the speakers were damaged because of the unusually low frequencies of the bass notes. After 12 days of this we were completely knackered.

Fortunately, after a two-day break in the countryside a new start brought a breakthrough. 'Mysterious Semblance' was recorded on Dec 4th. Pete and Chris were asleep after a long day's recording session so I invited my wife, Monique, into the studio. I called in the studio engineer and recorded it in one take on a double-keyboarded Mellotron while Monique turned the knobs on a phasing device. This piece is on the record exactly as it was recorded that day. And this practice was to continue for the rest of the session."
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Saturday Night Listening Session

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Hey shed--

No Moog music tonight, but so far today/this evening I've been listening to The Frightnrs (Daptone's new Reggae release, on CD), Red Garland "Red Garland's Piano," Miles Davis "Conception," Eric Dolphy "At the Five Spot," and capping-off with James Cotton "Mighty Long Time" LP l (the last four all on vinyl).

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:17 pm

I hear ya Gregg. I'd been on a long jazz jag myself these past few months, but things have been going in a decidedly electronic bent of late.

Bent like the top right corner
pictured below received during mailing.

This 1997 UK copy ( from the only vinyl press run of this that I could find) is a 3 record set by Juno Reactor-Bible of Dreams.
As folded cardboard goes, it's kind of striking with its indent embossed chrome lettering on a gloss/flat black cover. (which my lazy phone photo doesn't do justice)
Gatefold clasps with a magnetic strip. Most importantly the music is awesome.

Cant? say I?m that well versed in all things trance-techno, but I?ve always liked this album and it holds up well.
Doesn?t sound too dated due to the judicious use of sound samples and the live percussion is fantastic.
(Courtesy of Nelson Mandela?s favorite South African percussion act Amompondo.)

Two of the three 12? discs play at 45rpm, the third at 33rpm.

*Sushi clock not for sale.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Iannis Xenakis

Electro-Acoustic Music includes Bohor

la legende d'Eer

Anyone here familiar with this man?s work? The guy survives tank shrapnel to the cheek and eye while fighting with the French resistance,
achieves reknown as an architect, then applies architectural mathematics to sound to create totally original
building soundscapes. These are not your casual listening experience.

"Specific examples of mathematics, statistics, and physics applied to music composition are the use of the statistical mechanics of gases in Pithoprakta, statistical distribution of points on a plane in Diamorphoses etc.

Although electroacoustic compositions represent only a small fraction of Xenakis's output, they are highly relevant to musical thinking in the late 20th century. Important works in this medium include Concret PH (1958), Analogique A?B (1958?59), Bohor (1962), La l?gende d'Eer (1977), Mycenae-Alpha (1978), Voyage absolu des Unari vers Androm?de (1989), Gendy301 (1991), and S709 (1994).[34]

By 1979, he had devised a computer system called UPIC, which could translate graphical images into musical results.[35] "Xenakis had originally trained as an architect, so some of his drawings, which he called 'arborescences', resembled both organic forms and architectural structures." These drawings' various curves and lines that could be interpreted by UPIC as real time instructions for the sound synthesis process. The drawing is, thus, rendered into a composition. Mycenae-Alpha was the first of these pieces he created using UPIC as it was being perfected."
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00 pm

In addition to his noise music, Xenakis is reputed for being ahead of the curve in computer music meta-design.
https://www.google.com/search?q=xenakis+software

We are frequent jazz listeners in our house. Latest addition, and recommended...

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Hey Jj. I've haven't listened to a lot of Mr. Jamal. I will have to give this a more serious check out later.
Ahmad Jamal ‎? Outertimeinnerspace

"Not a bad fusion album, a kind of well stripped-down Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Mike Nock territory, not really jazz and not quite jazz-rock (is that why some people call it Post-Bop? Never understood that term!) loose and seemingly quite improvised outing of lengthy tracks."

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 pm

worked from home had on

jeff beck - wired
stevie wonder - original musiquarium i
gregory porter - take me to the alley
james brown - get up offa that thing
isaac hayes - black moses
groove holmes - american pie

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Groove Holmes!
Yeah, dig this track from a concert double lp he did with his band and Jimmy McGriff's trading off solos.
Jimmy McGriff & Richard 'Groove' Holmes - Giants of the organ in Concert

Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.