Basic audio learnin'

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Basic audio learnin'

Post by mwerden » Tue May 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello tapeoppers. I've been teaching an intro level audio class and I'm on the lookout for some materials that explain super basic audio concepts. Obviously there is a lot of instructional material out there, I'm looking for SUPER basic and easy. Here's an example of from an old Adobe Audition manual that explains digital audio really clearly:

https://www.linfield.edu/assets/files/i ... primer.pdf

Anyone know of some good stuff like this? Written or video. Will take any topic, but basic concepts and signal processing would be dope. Frequency, amplitude, aux sends/returns, EQ, dynamics, verbs/delays/modulation.

What you got?
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue May 23, 2017 5:31 pm

The Sound Reinforcement Handbook written by Gary Davis & Ralph Jones for Yamaha is one I'd recommend. It might not go into newer technology as it's from 1989. But I think it still would prove quite useful. There's also Modern Recording Techniques by David Miles Huber & Robert E. Runstein.

Youtube has a decent community of recordists who go over techniques - probably how most young people are learning now.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue May 23, 2017 7:28 pm

tascam/teac manuals for reel to reels or mixers usually have a ton of great beginner info in them. it explains for reel to reel works, or noise reduction. same with the mixer stuff, explaining preamps and what line and mic level and differences, etc.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Tue May 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks for the hot tips y'all. I have the Yamaha book, I'm looking for WAY way simpler. Any specific examples of the Tascam manuals or Youtube "community of recordists"?
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Mackie manuals tend to be really noob-friendly.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu May 25, 2017 6:30 am

Are you teaching high school students, here. College grads, 11 year olds? What are you wanting them to take away from the class? Is it a single class or a course?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 am

Intro level college. It's a required class for everyone, so let's just say not everyone is exactly...ahem...motivated.

The digital audio example I posted above is perfect. Super simple, takes about a minute to read, covers all the basics. Looking for more like that, specific examples would be totally fantastic.
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Wow, I was reading the Yamaha Handbook in high school, I thought you were dealing with like 12 year olds.

Err, I think probably just trolling the manuals of every piece of audio gear you plan to use would be the best way, Yamaha were one of the few to gather it all together, but I mean look at all the common compressor manuals, ditto for other signal processors and so on?

Like the Appendix for the 3630 'What is Compression/Limiting/Etc' ?

http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e ... manual.pdf
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri May 26, 2017 6:09 am

I'm sure you don't want to spend the time but maybe make your own? I don't think you'll find a really basic book out there. Unless maybe there's an "Audio for Dummies" book. You'll have to create an aggregate from a lot of sources.

I thought about doing something similar for interns at the studio where I used to work but realized I didn't want to bother and they probably wouldn't read it anyway. The biggest issue for me at the time was creating the graphics and visuals that really explain the concepts best. But it might not be a big deal depending on how adept you are at such things.

That said, I'll agree with what's been said and a lot of manuals have a lot of basic info. At least the older ones did.

EDIT: Apparently there is a Dummies book. Sorta. http://www.dummies.com/consumer-electro ... log-sound/
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."