Cubase to Pro Tools

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Cubase to Pro Tools

Post by newguy12 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:07 pm

I was wondering, I use cubase 5.1 at home to record. Would it be possible to bring my tracks into a studio that has only pro tools and how would I go about doing this (without mixing down to a wav. and burning it to CD).

ctmsound
george martin

Re: Cubase to Pro Tools

Post by ctmsound » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:45 pm

As far as I know, you can't import a cubase session into pro tools. You can however, export each individual track from your cubase session into it's own individual .wav file. Then import all those .wavs into a pro tools session.

Pretty simple.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:25 pm

Yeah, that's kind of a pain, but it's the only way I know how... You might save some time by grouping tracks (like get a good drum submix)... And a helpful piece of advice, start all of you exports from the same left marker point, that way lining them up in PT is a breeze.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:36 am

The fact that someone says file transfer is kind of a pain, is citing a deeper personality quirk. Engineers spend a ridiculous amount of time doing absolutely minute adjustments and tweaks. A comment like, "it sounds like a pain" says you may not have the stomach for it. Sort of like when someone approaches digital drum editing or sound replacing. Get over it. If you're an engineer, it's your job. If you're a musician, hire an engineer who will do the work for you.

tdmguy
audio school

Post by tdmguy » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:49 pm

Can Cubase export an OMF? If so, you can import that into Pro Tools with the help of Digitranslator ($495). Digi also has a free OMF import utility called OMF Tool that you can download...its very old and not always reliable.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:28 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:The fact that someone says file transfer is kind of a pain, is citing a deeper personality quirk.... A comment like, "it sounds like a pain" says you may not have the stomach for it. ... Get over it. If you're an engineer, it's your job...
If I could rephrase my original statement:
cassembler wrote:It's kind of a pain, but it's only kind of a pain when compared to, say, exporting the entire session from Cubase into Pro Tools (as posed by Reactiation, who added that it's not yet possible with Cubase 5.1 and PT).

You might save some time by grouping tracks (like get a good drum submix)... And a helpful piece of advice, start all of you exports from the same left marker point, that way lining them up in PT is a breeze.

Ether way, you'll have to manually export each track or group of tracks down to a medium that can be imported to the PT rig in question, which, no matter what anyone says, carries with it a degree of tedium.
Better?

It's all relative man.
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

Larsen
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Larsen » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:52 pm

I did just that a couple of months ago. And I did exactly what the above mentioned. Mixed down each of my individual tracks from the exact left marking point. If you have any plug-ins you are married to, you will have to write those to your track as well since PT uses completely different plugs.

It really didn't take long at all to import the tracks. In fact it went very smoothly, and the engineer was still pretty green to PT. If you are worried about time/budget for you mixing session, it was a drop in the bucket for me. And, I didn't have much money at all

j

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:03 pm

It's kind of a pain
yeah, but how cool is it when all those cut up little bits and bits of audio become one solid linear track..
ah...
:mrpink: hillary

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:23 pm

Personally, I enjoy keeping track of 300+ snippets of audio. I dunno what I'd do if I only had, say 40 or so...

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:16 pm

it is kinda fun to randomly copy & paste stuff...
kinda like spinning a globe then closing your eyes and pointing out your next vacation...
although, it usually ends up being the middle of the ocean. and jet blue doesn't go there.
what are we talking about again?