here you go...

evan
buyin' gear

here you go...

Post by evan » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:46 pm

Tell me what you think. I used a laughably tiny setup, so hopefully whatever downfalls it has are forgivable.

http://www.imbicycle.com/Life In The Iron Lung - Untitled.mp3

zoetrope
pushin' record

Re: here you go...

Post by zoetrope » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:52 am

Could use a remix. The vocals get lost in the sea of sound once the electric guitars come in and the drums get angry. This is a good demo, gets the idea across, but I'd like to hear a more finished mix. Fun song

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:03 am

yea, its a bit sloppy. but i definately liked it.

maybe compress the vocals a bit more and bring them up a hair.
(they actually arent altogether too low on headphones since there is a lot of panning going on and the vocals are pretty much dead center)

the drums sound like garbage (i use this term in a positive sense). i would make them sound more like garbage if i were you.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:56 am

Hey, thanks, both of you. Just as a note, my entire setup consists of only a few things: a Behringer UB1202, AKG C3000B, SM57, and a few cheap Superlux drum mics, with the mixer running into the line-in of my generic soundcard into Vegas 4.0. I'll try to tweak things to see if I can clear up the muddiness a bit (the mix probably sounds better through headphones, seeing how I primarily mixed through Grados), and I was thinking about adding more drums...an anecdotal detail about the drums, too: I played them part-by-part on separate tracks -- high-hat, then crash, then snare, etc.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:50 pm

you could really hear the "this is not a drummer" in the recording. i always find that to be endearing.

one way that you could clear up some space in the mix is use those superlux mics and the 57 a little bit more for the acoustic guitar parts and the back up vocals and whatnot.

correct me if i am wrong, but it sounded like you did the drums with the superlux mics and everythng else pretty much with the akg? which is why i think they might be fighting a lot.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:55 pm

Yeah, I really like the drums on Microphones' recordings...they have that chaotic amateurism that makes them wonderful. I did the toms and bass with Superluxes, snare with the 57, and the C3000B with cymbals. The acoustic guitar and vocals were done with the C3000B and the electrics with the 57, and the bass was just DI. I remixed it a bit and dropped out the acoustic guitars when the electric guitars come in -- you can't even hear them anyway -- and moved the guitars closer in and the vocals panned hard left and right. Maybe I'll try just using 1 channel of each of the backup vocals (they're recorded in stereo -- well, cardioid so not really full "stereo") to clear things up...