Help me find my missing tapes?

me
audio school

Help me find my missing tapes?

Post by me » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:14 am

I know... its my fault for not carrying them with me fter the session was over, but I was young, trusting, and naive.
To make a long story shorter, I recorded several songs at three different studios, and now the studios are gone, the people have moved away, and my tapes are gone gone gone... but maybe with some hints you could help me find them. If you arent in Georgia, you can probably disregard this whole message. Here is what I am searching for:

1 - 1" 16 track tape. 4 songs, funky rock. Group was called "What". recorded just before the 1st Gulf war say around 1990. The studio was called 7th Heaven Studios , near downtown Norcross Georgia. The engineer was Mike Tate. He was a keyboardist, and a pretty good engineer too. The studio closed up a few years later. If you know this guy, let him know I am looking for my tapes back...if they still exist.

2 - 1" 16 track tape, 4-5 songs. Recorded in Atlanta Recording Studios, in Marietta Georgia. I do not recall the engineers name. The studio was in a small "mall" on Pat Mel Road. The engineer was a super nice guy, and I seem to recall he was handicapped, and had a wheelchair. That was a great session and I would love to have my tapes back. Recorded arouond 1988, 1989.

3 - 1" or 1/2" 8 track, 4-5 songs. Recorded by James Lanier in his Black and Silver Studios near Embry Hills, north Dekalb County Ga. The studio was in the basement of his parents house. Recorded around 1984, 1985. If you know James, help me out and ask him if he still has my tape. I would love to have it back.

I am in the process of pulling together all of my old recordings to preserve them in some fashion and just so I can have them to listen to once again. I have not heard some of these recordings in many many years.

Let this also be a lesson to anyone who is recording themselves in other studios... keep you masters close to you. Dont leave them in the studio no matter how much they say it is safe. I have lost some important parts of my life in these missing tapes. Nothing can replace that, so dont let them out of your sight.

I can be reached at kglenn2001@comcast.net

Thanks for any leads or any help in advance.

Kev

HypCo
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Help me find my missing tapes?

Post by HypCo » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:43 am

Kev. Sorry, I can't be of any direct help, however....
I would go to www.people.yahoo.com and punch in the names of the two guys you named (Tate and Lanier) and just put in the state of GA and then let your fingers do the walking. A quick "Sorry to bother you, but I'm trying to locate the Mike Tate that used to work at 7th Heaven" might prove successful. Good luck. Rob

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:00 pm

Man, I feel for you. Three years ago, I embarked on a recovery/preservation of my own musical past, similar to what you're doing now. I managed to round up most of the major stuff, but a couple of artifacts have eluded me. One is the first recording I made with my band, around 1983. The performance was awful, but it would bring back some fun memories if I could hear it again. The other is a videotape of one of our shows from 1987 and I would love to see that tape now, if only for sentimental reasons. The tape was actually in my possession for a period of time before I foolishly gave it back to the owner (our bassist) without making a copy of it first. I still kick myself for that oversight. The tape passed through a few people's hands before it went missing years ago. Nobody can remember who had it last. To this day, I still have dreams about that tape turning up.

I hope you beat the odds and recover your tapes.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:08 pm

I don't have the multitrack tapes of my first-ever big studio recording project from twenty years ago, but I have a reference cassette. The other day I found that, put it in...it's not so bad that I don't have the original multitrack tapes, as it turns out! Fun from a nostalgic point of view.

I did misplace some naked pictures of an ex-girlfriend that I wouldn't mind locating...

Hope you find your tapes, Kev.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:07 am

I did misplace some naked pictures of an ex-girlfriend that I wouldn't mind locating...
I'd check the internet first. :P
-GABE

me
audio school

Post by me » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:39 am

Hey thanks for the replies. I really dont think that I will ever find the tapes again at this point. I managed to locate 3 reels of 8 track on 1/2". I found a deal on a tascam 38, bought it, had a tape-baking party by myself and now those 8 tracks are on protools. At least some studios have enough heart to keep the old tapes of their clients.
With blank 1" tape going for what it is going for these days, I would imagine my other missing tapes are probably home to someone elses music now. Who knows...
I guess I will keep this thread bumping periodically just in case one of these guys ever happens upon it - if they are still into recording they will most likely visit this site at one time or another eh?
Thanks for the sympathy folks, and good luck finding your history too.
Kev