Is there a glut?

andrewstadium
takin' a dinner break

Re: Is there a glut?

Post by andrewstadium » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:50 am

Pro Jules wrote: He's been the 3rd kid we have tried out.....,

1st clearly resented any of the cleaning tidying up tasks...
2nd was unobservant and didn't seem to 'connect' with our clients
3rd - see above, too bored watching a session
Before I start, this is not a really a response directed at Pro Jules.
Just my own story and I am probably venting too much...

For what its worth I consider myself talented and utterly obesssed with recording. I have graduated from music school and interned. Have done tech support for audio gear. I record my own music.
My life revolves around my own project studio.
With that being said interning this year at a 'world class' facility
drained the fucking life out of me. So yeah. I was bored.
Does that constitute me having my head up my ass? I would beg to differ.
Perhaps the kid Pro Jules mentioned was clueless.
I wasn't there so I wouldn't know.

But watching a hackish house engineer record crappy local bands was not very stimulating. So sue me. I found it utterly stifling that I was expected to do absolutely nothing. Not talk unless spoken to. Not voice my opinions on anything etc. Throw in the fact that the engineer's personality sucked and he routinely made snide comments as if he felt threatened by me...The whole thing undermined my fierce DIY work ethic. Rawr!

My point is >Don't immediately pass character judgements on interns who seem like they would rather be someplace else. Especially if they are carrying out the tasks you have assigned to them. It burns me that I might be dismissed as a 'nice guy, not so good intern' because I seemed bored and picked up a magazine every so often.

I knew my own reasons for being there and what I wanted to get out of it. If that didn't jibe with thier intern manual (they had one)than oh well.

Perhaps given my experience I was somehow overqualified to take shit from somebody about how "it really is in the biz".
I would have thought that my real world experience might buy me some leeway to where I didn't have to "stand at attention" the whole time. That was not the case.

Tape Op Con 03 was the final nail in the coffin of the music biz indoctrination that was drilled into my head at school and "pro" studios.
Thank God for that.

Haven't looked back since.

graveleye
steve albini likes it

Post by graveleye » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:17 pm

andrewstadium wrote:
Pro Jules wrote: He's been the 3rd kid we have tried out.....,

1st clearly resented any of the cleaning tidying up tasks...
2nd was unobservant and didn't seem to 'connect' with our clients
3rd - see above, too bored watching a session
Before I start, this is not a really a response directed at Pro Jules.
Just my own story and I am probably venting too much...

For what its worth I consider myself talented and utterly obesssed with recording. I have graduated from music school and interned. Have done tech support for audio gear. I record my own music.
My life revolves around my own project studio.
With that being said interning this year at a 'world class' facility
drained the fucking life out of me. So yeah. I was bored.
Does that constitute me having my head up my ass? I would beg to differ.
Perhaps the kid Pro Jules mentioned was clueless.
I wasn't there so I wouldn't know.

But watching a hackish house engineer record crappy local bands was not very stimulating. So sue me. I found it utterly stifling that I was expected to do absolutely nothing. Not talk unless spoken to. Not voice my opinions on anything etc. Throw in the fact that the engineer's personality sucked and he routinely made snide comments as if he felt threatened by me...The whole thing undermined my fierce DIY work ethic. Rawr!

My point is >Don't immediately pass character judgements on interns who seem like they would rather be someplace else. Especially if they are carrying out the tasks you have assigned to them. It burns me that I might be dismissed as a 'nice guy, not so good intern' because I seemed bored and picked up a magazine every so often.

I knew my own reasons for being there and what I wanted to get out of it. If that didn't jibe with thier intern manual (they had one)than oh well.

Perhaps given my experience I was somehow overqualified to take shit from somebody about how "it really is in the biz".
I would have thought that my real world experience might buy me some leeway to where I didn't have to "stand at attention" the whole time. That was not the case.

Tape Op Con 03 was the final nail in the coffin of the music biz indoctrination that was drilled into my head at school and "pro" studios.
Thank God for that.

Haven't looked back since.
quit whining and finish cleaning the bathroom will ya??

:lol:
talk talk its only talk

andrewstadium
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewstadium » Mon May 17, 2004 9:35 pm

graveleye wrote: quit whining and finish cleaning the bathroom will ya??

:lol:
Yes sir.

:cry: