Movie Review: 28 Days Later

DUC
buyin' a studio

Re: Movie Review: 28 Days Later

Post by DUC » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:59 pm

durasoundrecordingco

Is that what you really look like? Like you stepped off of Mad Max. Bruiser.

Yes, I think the second half was very realistic and original, but it wasn't scarier than the first few minutes of the movie. I wished that they just stay in the city and make it more of a London thing instead of the cheap forest parts.

Whatever. It's still kicks arse.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:03 pm

It's rare that I'll see a movie like this and genuinely want the good guy to win... Usually, I'd just as much rather see them all die...
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:21 pm

Duc wrote:durasoundrecordingco
Is that what you really look like? Like you stepped off of Mad Max. Bruiser.
Yeah, let me at them zombies! I'd take 'em out rage or not!

I could totally see the London setting being awesome, I agree with you there, I guess what I meant was that the 2nd half was still scary to me, just a different kind of scary.

It was the scariest before Jim (that's the guys name right?) met up with folks. Man, that scene when he first runs into the zombies, at first it kinda reminded me of The Wall. Then it didn't anymore.

Kicked much arse.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:37 pm

cassembler wrote:How did the shopping scene take away from the film? My thoughts are that a good horror film will splash in a sense of practicality, especially well-placed practical humor. I think that scene developed the characters in a good way. The older guy looking at the whiskey... It was odd that the lights were on though...
it just did not do it for me the mood was spoiled it really sticks out in a bad way, if you just found out the world is over and there are killer zombies all around yr not going to let go and have 10 mins of carefree shopping your going to get the shit you need to survive and get the hell out before your dead. all the other scenes they have this attitude then all of a sudden they are carefree. It did not bother me as much as it seems though i just like to complain about things.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:42 pm

it was kind of funny though and it did develop the people to an extent.

tkheadroom
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tkheadroom » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:44 am

OK, so I agree this movie was pretty rad. It was like Omegaman without the religious bullshit and Charlton Heston getting misty eyed about hippies. Two things that did stick out, one that someone already pointed out: the lights being on in the grocery store. The second thing that got me, why do the soldiers have all those electronics stacked all over their compound? I would think that in the old post-apocalyptic, zombies crashing through windows all the time scenario, the last thing you're going to need is a pallet of DVD players, maybe that's just me. Also, they did a really good job of making London look deserted on a small budget, although it seems as if they hit Buckingham, Trafalgar etc. when they were closed or something, convienent use of a holiday? Oh well, I'm not one to nitpick, too much.

Ted

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:22 pm

SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote:it just did not do it for me the mood was spoiled it really sticks out in a bad way, if you just found out the world is over and there are killer zombies all around yr not going to let go and have 10 mins of carefree shopping your going to get the shit you need to survive and get the hell out before your dead. all the other scenes they have this attitude then all of a sudden they are carefree. It did not bother me as much as it seems though i just like to complain about things.
Ok, I see your point. The light being on was just plain not technically correct IMHO. Thus, the place _should_ have been a zombie hang out.

Ok, point well taken.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."