In need of Manager!

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

In need of Manager!

Post by Monkeyfist » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:01 pm

Hey,
Anyone around that knows of or is involved with or does any managing for acts? We are getting in over our heads a bit in this whole booking and merch fiasco. If so e-mail me at rick@10lblibido.com or shoot me a message here.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Re: In need of Manager!

Post by Monkeyfist » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:19 pm

No One replies, I am scared, it's dark in here... Guys, uhm guys, this isn't funny guys I'm freakin' out...

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:50 pm

DON'T FREAK OUT!

Look in the yellow pages or do a search on the web. Contact whoever you find and talk to them. If it feels right, sign a very short term deal and see how it works out. If it doesn't, try someone else - by then you'll have a better idea of exactly who you need. Use your gut instinct, and try to think of it in the same way you'd hire a plumber - there's no need for putting on a rock'n'roll attitude in front of someone who you're going to hire to advance your career. Talk to them, and if your gut instinct thinks it's okay, then go with them. Just make sure you're not signing away the next five years of your career. One year should be enough to know if the relationship is going to work out.

Good luck - you're actually in an enviable position to have to worry about merchandising.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:29 am

Well ever since we started this merch thing, it has become a pariah in our group. People claiming they paid for everything, people criticising other peoples art when they have none of thier own to provide opposition with. Price wars have become a problem as well. It creates conflict, but in the end it's totally worth it. We do most of our stuff in house, but we're looking into getting a 1000 run duped of our CD. To the nines I tell you, UPC codes and all...

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

TA
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TA » Sat May 01, 2004 4:03 am

I can relate to your situation, internal conflict not associated with creating music. There is a boiling point. In my opinion if all memebers have been there since day one and everyone is in it for the long hall. Everything should be divided equally, cost and returns.

Tim couldn`t of said it better though, talk and interview people, go with short term deals to feel it out. A good manager will be able to releave conflict, direct focus and at the very least, keep thing on track.

Good luck, rock on..........

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sat May 22, 2004 4:19 pm

It has gotten pretty bad lately, but that is somewhat understandable. Our keyboard player has been M.I.A. for like almost a month now. So now it's all about his ability, what he's done for the band. It's not like we're freaking famous, and we shouldn't be handing out critiques of someones abilitis because they have been laid up. I don't know how much more I can deal with. I may just have to pack my kit up and go find something else. I don't know really, I have been in this line up for like a year now, and it's starting to fall apart already.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Sun May 23, 2004 12:12 pm

Where are you located?
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Fri May 28, 2004 8:03 am

I'm in sunny Seattle WA. Actually about 15 minutes north of Seattle. Edmonds/Shoreline area.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Fri May 28, 2004 8:27 am

Well, I know nothing about your band -- experience, fan base, relationships with clubs, etc., but it sounds as though if you are doing a lot of merch, you likely are doing pretty well. If you've never had to have amanager before, I'd suggest a couple of things:

-- A "pro" manager may not be what you need. It's just like with a label, or an agent. If you sign with a big name, you may be a low priority with them. I've seen several examples of good manager/band relationships that start with the band hiring someone who, first and foremost, is a BIG fan of the band's music. A friend, that helps, too. Hopefuly a friend who knows the scene and has connections, but the enthusiasm that a fan/friend will bring to the table can easily overcome lack of management experience. The manager can then grow with the band and feel more like a part of the thing as a whole, rather than a disconnected person in it for money only.

-- A band here in Boston with a ton of press, gigs, and buzz (the Dresden Dolls), sent out a mass email to everybody on their list advertising for a position, not a manager, but something similar. They encouraged the email to be forwarded along to anybody the list folks thought would be a good match. That's an idea.

-- not to squash the above poster's idea, but I'd avoid the yellow pages. That kind of anonymity is a less-than-perfect way to start a relationship. It's like it's harder to get a good job through the classifieds. Usually these things happen better by word-of-mouth. Most management folk worth their salt won't advertise or have much of a presence in the yellow pages anyway. People know who they are. Ask around other bands who have management. Maybe they can get you a meeting with theirs. Even if you can't get in with that manager, he/she may be able to recommend someone.

I bet you know managers already. I'm sure they all know each other. Ask around.

Anybody you know who has a low-level job at a label might be a good person to ask to be your manager. They know people, generally, or know people who know people. They often are big music heads, and they often are underpaid and underappreciated, and they would be happy to do the management thing as a sideline to further their own profiles in the scene. It happened to me once, I was approached to manage a band, but I had other aspirations and didn't have the time. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice...

I guess it depends on what level your band is at right now. If you need someone to travel with you on the road a lot, it will be harder to find someone. And of course, it's easy to find a manager who turns out to be a flake and doesn't do anything for you. Final word: figure out EXACTLY what the manager would be in charge of, and write it all down in a job description. The definition will help with choosing the right person, and having that person choose you.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat some more.
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Fri May 28, 2004 12:35 pm

Thanks for the tips and such. I haven't really networked (or whatever you may call it) with a lot of people on this as of late. I talked to a few folks around the area, but before even hearing us they wanted to talk percentages. I think this will be a big task for me to complete. I can only do so much right now, and the remainder of them don't really have the motivation to do very much.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

TA
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TA » Sat May 29, 2004 6:51 am

The bottom line.....its all about your sound. If your music is appealing and you have good turn outs at your gigs.....That speaks volumes! A manager plays a vital roll in marketing, but he\she needs something to market and in my opinion its all about the music be marketable. There are so many bands that rely on some kind of gimic or do some off the wall crazy shit to grab attention!

Just my thoughts, I`m no expert by any means. But if you write good tunes along with great live performances, things will come together....you just have to throw your self out there as much as possible.

No matter how big or small the manager or the band, you have to give a manager a reason to make your act a higher priorty. I understand a manager works for the band. But if you pick up a 'big name' manager, as a song writer you have to give him\her something to push.

Yeah...definetly whatch out for thoughs who talk % before they even hear your stuff!!!

Good luck with everything.......Do you have any mp3 you can post? Love to hear your stuff.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:54 am

We have some up on our website.
www.10lblibido.com

Check em' out when you get a chance. I'm also setting up with a side thing that's a lot more dark/moody. It'l be up and ready to hear in about a month I think. I'm not doing the website so I'm not sure. but I'll let you all know when it's finally up.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net