losing clocking on 001 optical

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: losing clocking on 001 optical

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:15 am

Is it possible to switch which device is generating the word-clock?

I've been using a MOTU 2408 with a Creamware lightpipe I/O. Clicks and pops if I have the MOTU generating the clock. Works fine if I have the Creamware box generating the clock and sending it to the MOTU.

soundphaRm
audio school

Post by soundphaRm » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:07 am

...so, let me get this straight...the 001's sync is set to optical (external), the A/D converter's sync/clock is set to internal. The D/A converter's clock is set to external to sync off the A/D's clock as fed through 001...right? Is the A/D converter's output going into the optical input on the 001's PCI card? If so, how is the 001's output connected to the D/A converter?
-soundphaRm studios-

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:20 am

soundpha, you've got everything right. The Digi's output is connected to the DA input via optical. The DA actually doesn't have a clock, so setting it to external is not an issue.

I rented a Lucid Genex last weekend just for shits and giggles to see if it would help, since I was mixing out of the box for the first time, and as expected, it didn't make any difference. In fact, it was worse. The problem has to be how the 001 works (or doesn't work) with the new G4. I'm thinking of copying this whole thread and emailing it to Digi and see if they can work something out for me.

To answer another question, if I run the DA without clocking off the Swissonic AD (clocking from the 001) it's fine. It's just that's what I wanted to avoid since the 001's clock sucks audibly.

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonariste » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:27 am

I think you should send this thread to digi, see if they can recreate the prob.
I bet they don't have the swissonic hardware around though.

FWIW:
I have a 001 and swiss ad96 da24
I clock off the ad96 at 44.1
001 optical sync
bechmark dac1 spdif from 001
g4 dual 450 ptle5.1 24trk version
no clicks

I have a bnc cable inbetween the ad96 and the da 24 but it works fine without it too, no clicks either way.

I kinda suspect something in the way the 001 pci card interacts with the newer mac hardware.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:06 am

sonariste, you're right. I had absolutely no problem with my old G4 400. I'm thinking about buying my friend's 450 with dual SCSI drives and tons of plugs for $500. But then I won't be able to run my Rennaissance reverb in realtime. Maybe if I ran Os X it would work, but I don't want to spend the $$ to upgrade my Waves plugs.