2 New Tracks, 1 Remix

dynomike
carpal tunnel

2 New Tracks, 1 Remix

Post by dynomike » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:35 am

I've got some more stuff for you, since I was impressed with the helpful responses I got last time. I'm planning on releasing some of this stuff as an EP soon but its going pretty slow, mainly due to my lyrical skills or lack thereof. Anyway, I've got vocals on another song done yesterday, and one of the songs is interesting enough without vocals that I thought I'd share it before I get those done.

You may wonder how this EP is gonna flow, as all three of these songs are pretty different. I'm not sure either. Heres the stuff:

All Grow - Remixed
Day Off - Instrumental
Autumn

Let me know what you think!

Mike

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: 2 New Tracks, 1 Remix

Post by dynomike » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:08 am

I put this stuff on a cd and listened to it in my car, resulting in (another!) remix of all grow (it was a little bass-heavy) and a new mix of autumn, the main difference being the bass guitar. Day off I'm not sure what's wrong with it, the guitars in the verses sound a little thin. Pointers?
Thanks, I'm uploading the new versions now under the same file names.

Mike

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:06 pm

listened to all grow.

hurm... i dont remember it sounding this good... i think you did a really good job on the remix. at least from my headphones.

i would say it is ready for some mastering....

snare sounded good. liked it....

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:06 pm

All grow sounds goooood

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:56 pm

all grow is awesome dude. definitely dino jr. sounding. awesome songs. sounds good. wish i had checked in and got the first version of all grow before you took it down. i have nothing to compare it to.

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:18 am

excellent job on the remix. i listened to the first mix, but never got a chance to comment. i think the remix, has a very nice balance.

I really like day off as well, (it has good movement) and I'm curious as to what vocals you will add to the song. I really like some of the noises in it...like the string scratching at about 1:35.

good job! :)
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'd love to hear what you have to say about Day Off and Autumn, especially.

The snare I used on Autumn and All Grow (as a lot of my recordings) is a 3.5x14" maple piccolo snare, ambassadors all round, tuned fairly tight. On all grow, all the snare sound (virtually) comes from a sm57 peeking over the rim and aimed at the center of the top head (very very slight angle). It has compression and eq though too, about -3 db comp, a bit of a 1k boost and a 6k boost, and a 250hz cut to compensate for the ultra-close mic'ing.

Anyway, I'd love some feedback on Autumn, because I feel its almost as close to completion as All Grow. Thanks again.

Mike

Liv Pooleside
ass engineer

Post by Liv Pooleside » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:17 pm

Hi-

OK, so I listened to Autumn a couple of times on my crappy computer speakers, and it sounds fine- except that I can't understand 3/4 of the vocals. I like the quality of the voice fine, and would hesitate to change it, but playing around with the caveman WinAmp EQ, a boost around 1K helps make them clearer. Of course, it also bangs out the guitar part! So I'd eq the vocal a bit and bring it up a smidge. It may end up sounding too thin by itself, but it's getting lost now. On crappy speakers.

I know it's a cliche, but personally I'd open up the main arpeggiated guitar on the B section- double it across the field, or majorly flange it in stereo. or something. It makes it so much more effective when it tightens up again coming back to the next verse.

All the best!
Liv
This will prove a brave kingdom to me
Where I shall have my music for nothing

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:46 am

I only have time to say that Im a Fan. Very good.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:36 pm

Hey I just posted another track, with vocals, for those of you who actually watch this topic ... :? Your comments have helped a lot in improving my mixes I think, I may have already addressed your most common concerns with my mixes in this new one! I think its on of my best songs so far, so check it out on the new topic.

Mike

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:02 am

I seriously really like your songs. Keep working on it because they can and will sound GREAT! I can't tell you how to do it, but I can tell you heading in the right direction.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:42 pm

Thanks Matt. You're my biggest fan except my mom. Actually come to think of it... my mom doesn't even like these songs! :(

I swear I will eventually finish this project as soon as I borrow a bass and a tamborine and....

I'll definately post the final, mastered versions. If I ever get some money, I'll get them mastered professionally, my masters always sound either too quiet, or like overdriven shizznat. Its really an art.

mike

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:06 pm

i have to say i'm a fan too. you write some amazing songs, and record them really good. so im a fan of both aspects. keep 'em coming

multitracker
pluggin' in mics

Post by multitracker » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:40 am

Liked it all. What's the format? Noticed drums on Autumn a little "right" heavy... no wait... yeah "right" heavy. Ever tried coincident OH pair directly over the snare drum? It's not always a super wide image but that's not always bad to keep the kit alittle more center. Could be my phones too. Or my bad monitor mix at the gig last night.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:46 pm

multitracker wrote:Liked it all. What's the format?
Its all digital. All the tracks, or most of them, have buss compression ala the DigitalFishPhones Endorphin plugin, which is really awesome I think AND FREE. I think that makes the mixes stick together like glue and although it doesn't distort the signal to the point where you think its tape, it adds some character, mainly in terms of dynamics, and also eliminates those nasty digital overs! :)

If you want more details, I gave some more info about my new song. Which I'm gonna post a new version of tonight (I'll link to it on that topic):
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=1849

Thats the topic for my new song.. now that I borrowed that bass and tamborine I might actually finish these tunes within the next few days!

mike