New To Seattle

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

New To Seattle

Post by Dan Phelps » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:48 pm

Hello!

I just moved to Seattle from N. California. I posted in the Musicians W/A, but I'm posting here, too, because I've produced a few projects and really enjoyed it. A few of them even had budgets! :shock:
I don't consider myself a genuine Producer tho, at least not in the more traditional sense, but I have enjoyed facilitating singer/songwriters projects and setting up an easy going and comfortable vibe in the studio.
I'm also an amatuer engineer and I love recording, so if there are any engineers/owners/managers at studios out there who wouldn't mind some one helping out (I make coffee) or would like to grab a beer, drop me line.
Also, I have a space I work out of where I can record my varied instruments and make a lot of noise.

I just want to meet some good people!

Peace,
Dan

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Re: New To Seattle

Post by Shawn Simmons » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:26 pm

I'm kind of busy at the moment but you can come check out my studio sometime. Not looking for any interns but my studio is a good place to bring projects to.

check it out.

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:26 pm

MP3's to make you incontinent:

http://homepage.mac.com/danphelps/FileSharing8.html

No real engineering examples here (except for "Suspended" which is rough rough rough).

Peace,
Dan

chromasound
audio school graduate

Post by chromasound » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:54 pm

Hey Dan,

(and hey Shawn!) We are looking for an intern down at Chroma Sound (www.chromasound.net). I'm guessing that you're not looking for an unpaid job that requires cleaning the bathroom and wrapping cables, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Feel free to give me a ring at 206-250-8180 if you want to chat.

Jason

PS - Shawn, thanks for the Ghost Stories referral. We blew it by putting in Trident...

RuudUnit
gettin' sounds

Post by RuudUnit » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:46 pm

Hey yall. I'm gonna be making a little tour up to seattle soon to play some shows with my band legubitron (from the bay area / sacramento area).

This is an old thread yes...

I was just wondering what places I should check out while I'm up there.

Also, I need some bands to join us on stage 7/15/04 at 2nd avenue pizza if you guys know of any good ones. is that a shitty venue? Do they have a PA? We booked it to fill in a gap in the schedule between the hideaway, and KAOS and le voyeur in Oly.

Also, we're planning on staying in hostels. Any advice on this angle?

Any advice on my journey would be appreciated. I've never really been up there, and I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can. Maybe I can come check out you all's studios too if you're down.

-Eric
Others say he could have been motivated by fear, anger or desire to breed.

milkshake
audio school

Post by milkshake » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:08 pm

2nd Ave. Pizza is an all-ages venue (with beer), known mainly for booking punk/hardcore/metal bands, although there are exceptions (I think Steve Fisk did a solo set there a few months ago). Pretty sure theres a PA, but i don't remember a stage. I wouldn't call it shitty, but it has "character", its a fun place.

For hostels, the Green Tortoise is cheap and close to the venue. Also the Moore Hotel is near there and not too expensive for the location.

You might like this bar called Shorty's which is also on 2nd Ave, its small, pretty loud, they have arcade and pinball, cheap beer. Plus you'll see plenty of more low-key upper-scale places in the area. For coffee shops and other bars you should head up towards Capitol Hill, Pike and Pine Sts.

Hope this helps, good luck with the shows

Mike

RuudUnit
gettin' sounds

Post by RuudUnit » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:08 pm

Thanks milkshake,

Whatever happens, I'm sure we'll have a good time.

I'll check out that stuff you suggested.

-Eric
Others say he could have been motivated by fear, anger or desire to breed.