live drum & bass

junomat
re-cappin' neve

live drum & bass

Post by junomat » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:20 pm

i am in a live drum & bass band out of dc...

we're called the silver sessions

while drum & bass is primarily a dj-type format, we are trying to do something different and do it with a live drummer...

i'd love for everyone here to check out our site and download a show or two...

http://www.thesilversessions.com/ (then click on AUDIO)

thanks so much everyone!

xo,
mat

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Re: live drum & bass

Post by kristopher612 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:57 am

listeing to kepler's conjecture right now. seems pretty cool, im not into drum n bass all that much but i like this. it's different than just throwing a beat on a drum machine and doing some bass samples. it's nice. still very synchronized, but it's cool.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:20 am

yeah, real drummers are a good thing...

luckily daniel is as good as a machine.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:19 pm

Heya Mat.

Are y'all a two piece? Nice sounding tones. I'm listening to the Velvet Lounge Set. I'm liking this bass that's happening around 11:30.

I could stand a touch more development.. If not a vocalist, then another maybe another instrumentalist to push stuff along. Okay, maybe it just took me awhile to warm up to it. Is that a Nord at 15:30? I'm liking this vibey stuff. 19:28 D-Beam controller?

I presume y'r drummer is using largely triggers and a couple acoustic drums? What's he triggering and what with? Sounds like you've got some loops going on there.

I've done a couple of things kinda like this. Most successful was a thing called Anode Glow. We didn't do very many gigs, but it was good fun.
A sample here:
http://www.dogma.org/jjvsworld/anodeglo ... shlive.mp3

Do you guys have "songs" or just "jams"? (Occasionally a tough distinction I know.) I found once we had a good jam, sequencing it out really helped solidify parts and changes.

Its kind of a hard genre to do live properly but its superfun for yucks... Sequencing frequently depends on multitracking for depth that is missing in repeating sound sources like samplers and a good deal of digital synths. Devopment is everything.

Good stuff, keep it up...

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:53 am

I could stand a touch more development.. If not a vocalist, then another maybe another instrumentalist to push stuff along. Okay, maybe it just took me awhile to warm up to it. Is that a Nord at 15:30? I'm liking this vibey stuff. 19:28 D-Beam controller?
not a nord...a jp8000 and no dbeam going on...it's a ribbon
I presume y'r drummer is using largely triggers and a couple acoustic drums? What's he triggering and what with? Sounds like you've got some loops going on there.
pretty much the exact oppopsite. on the drums...there is a trigger on each bass drum. we're using a linn drum for the sounds

no loops on there either...i do use a sampler with a midi controller
Do you guys have "songs" or just "jams"? (Occasionally a tough distinction I know.) I found once we had a good jam, sequencing it out really helped solidify parts and changes.
we actually do have songs...but it's not like we rehearse them...we practice...but it's not like the train is always on the same track...it's more idea oriented...but there is a general layout

it sure it a hard thing to pull off live...we've been practicing for close to 9 months now and just starting to get shows...we have a show in baltimore on friday...you all should come out www.thesilversessions.com

rock and thanks for listening,
mat