so we borrowed this space, and

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

so we borrowed this space, and

Post by EasyGo » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:38 pm

tracked basics for our band's farewell album. Our talented friend dropped by and dropped some wicked Rhodes tracks. We got 7 keepers over the weekend; here are a few highlights. These are bare dry tracks played back through an old mixer.

[url=http://indoor_boy.tripod.com/mp3/target.mp3]Target[/url]
[url=http://indoor_boy.tripod.com/mp3/congress.mp3]Congress[/url]
[url=http://indoor_boy.tripod.com/mp3/photojeanie.mp3]Photojeanie[/url]

We still have half an album's worth of basics left to track, so kindly hit me with your suggestions. Thanks!

Don

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Re: so we borrowed this space, and

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:27 am

How did you mic the drums? I like the tom sound and the stick clack.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:45 am

Put up 2 x C3000s in XY in front of the kit as [url=http://indoor_boy.tripod.com/temp/bobondrums.JPG]such[/url]

Had to move em around to get more of the pesky floor tom. The usual D112 just inside the front hole, and an SM57 on the top of the snare. Drums took up half the room, and were behind gobos.

Thanks for the comments!

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:57 am

The sound quality is nice. Everything is clear. As for the mix, I think I'd like more Bass at times, and the overall sound would probably benifit from a bit of reverb in the master. But all in all, everything is clear a nicely balanced.

Something I'll mention is that, from the style, I kept expecting to hear some words. As if these were written with vocals in mind, but they just aren't there. If these are indeed remaining instrumental, I would go back and track some extra melodies/points of interest with extra guitars or pianos or xylophones or accordians ... something. Whatever you think would fit (pick up some tortoise if you want to hear some ways odd instruments can really add to the music).

In other words, what you have there is good ... just feels like it needs a little something more.
I am wangtacular.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions!

Maybe I wasn't clear: these are the basics only, no overdubs, no vocals, no mixing, certainly no reverb. Our stuff is very vocal-oriented, generally overproduced with lots of vocals, harmonies, and other parts. These are the rhythm tracks only.

You are right on the money about more points of interest. Thanks for listening and posting!

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:53 pm

Oh. Well, then scratch my comments. I wasn't aware that these were more or less the skeletons. So let me rephrase...

You are on the right path. My only comment that remains then is the stuff about the mix of the bass. It's a little sparse.

And please post again once you've tracked all the components. I'm interested to hear how it will turn out.
I am wangtacular.

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:21 am

I don't know what to say, its was pretty cool there are things in the mix I feel could be changed, I didn't like the tom so appearent, I thought the keys could be turned up, but thats just one listen, post it when its done I too am interested where it will go.
keep up the good work
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:04 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback, folks! We have half an album left to track, then all of the vocals and overdubs before we even start mixing. I'll post some future mixes here later.

Truck forth,

Don

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:25 pm

Pretty cool... the drums have really insane stereo separation. Which is kinda cool, for the toms for sure. Toms sound great, better than I can ever get out of overheads for sure. I may have to try doing some x-y in front of the kit experiments. Snare could use some comp/eq.

The low-mids a bit rumbly. And I couldn't really pick out the bass guitar, esp. in the beginning. Just some occasional rumbly stuff. I've said rumble twice too often. Thats my two cents, I know others have mentioned the bass as well.

I'd like to hear it with vocals. Tell your drummer he did a great job on the snare ghost notes and left foot hihat stuff at the end of the song. Thats a great groove he has there. The keys and guitar solos are solid too!

mike

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:04 pm

Those are really nice. I think the drums sound pretty great. They're really alive, with good room sound. You don't hear that as much as you would hope nowadays (or at least I don't).
Yeah, low mids, blah blah. Bass, blah blah.
Can't wait to hear 'em with vocals!

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:01 pm

diymike wrote: The low-mids a bit rumbly. And I couldn't really pick out the bass guitar, esp. in the beginning. Just some occasional rumbly stuff. I've said rumble twice too often. Thats my two cents, I know others have mentioned the bass as well.
Yeah my bass player owned up to the low end rumble. Apparently her hoodie sleeve was brushing against the lower strings while she played the notes up high. We promise to retrack. Or something.
diymike wrote: Tell your drummer he did a great job on the snare ghost notes and left foot hihat stuff at the end of the song. Thats a great groove he has there.
I'll definitely tell the drummer you liked the tracks. He's about to move away :( so we're trying to get our drum tracks done quick. :cry: I keep telling him to try being a studio drummer, but for whatever reason . . .

Thanks all for the encouragement.

Don

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:12 am

don-
sounds great man - again, such a testament to the importance of having a good drummer and good sounding drums! he should totally be a studio drummer. only thing i'd suggest is a little more kick - just a *hair though - and that's a mix and style thing. for basics it sounds great! it's awesome to hear someone else at sup. st. doing good sounding stuff! see, you can make good recordings at your practice space, even with the horrible bleed between rooms!

nick

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:02 pm

xonlocust wrote:see, you can make good recordings at your practice space, even with the horrible bleed between rooms!
Thanks for the kind words, Nick. Yeah the bleed between rooms is bad; that's why we end up tracking in the morning and early afternoon, before all the Rawkers wake up!

Don