What's up Boston?

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

What's up Boston?

Post by andyg666 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:46 pm

I'm considering relocating to the Boston area. My fiancee just lost her job in NYC and has much better connections in Boston. I know there are plenty of studios up there, but I don't really know the scene too well or if there are any opportunities for a NYC engineer with a few records under his belt to step in and be able to make a living. Anyone have any advice? Anyone in Boston hiring someone to do actual audio work for a living wage?

seanymac
audio school

Re: What's up Boston?

Post by seanymac » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:24 pm

Sorry to say, man, studios around here don't really hire firsts. Although, if you are looking to second or freelance, there is work out there. I moved back here a little over a year ago from L.A. (the armpit of the West Coast. Just ask San Fransiscans.) and I've been working pretty steadily. I was lucky enough to have old clients interested in working with me again and others buying into the "L.A. cashe", whatever the crap that means.

Good luck in your decisions. I hope you find peace (or disorder if that's your thing).
Sean McLaughlin
37' Productions
Boston, MA
thirtysevenfoot@mac.com

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

Re: What's up Boston?

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:44 pm

i've been out of school for just over two years. i have a job at a studio but i spent a year hanging out with no pay before i ever got any work. about 90% of my work comes from my own connections. it took me a while but i started from scratch.

if you have a rep in ny and have a lot of work under your belt, you might be able to scrounge up some work a little quicker. there must be an engineer to each band in boston, which obviously makes things tough. not to mention all of the berkelee and AI and emerson kids looking for work. and too fucking many people record for peanuts on protools which totally makes us engineers and studio owners suffer. good luck