I have a headache

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: I have a headache

Post by workshed » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:15 pm

Fucking brilliant, say I. In fact, I might even go so far as to say I'm sporting tremendous wood, but really, not really.

Well maybe a little, because I don't have much more than that to sport.

Oh, nevermind.

The only things I noticed about the mix were little nitpicky things:

- On the second (I think) chorus, where you have the 5 bazillion beautiful vocal harmonies going on together (around 2:00), it feels a little too weighted towards the right. I wanted to hear more of what was going on on the left side.

- Right before the final part where you get the little clean electric guitar melody (the part before the synths come in, around 4:20 -- yes, 4:20), I kind of want that guitar to come out a little more and shimmer more than it does.

Other than that, color me jealous and impressed. Where can I purchase a CD of this stuff?

-Bret

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:24 pm

Totally awesome. Only one thing kind of stood out. After the bass comes back in at about 2:50, some of the notes sound out of tune on the bass, just barely on some notes. Once again, it's really cool, and hopefully I'm not just hallucinating about that being out of tune sounding.

Dib432
audio school

Post by Dib432 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:42 am

hey this is a great tune! I'm just starting out so I don't know how much advice I can offer other than on the vocal level. I generally like the vocals low in the mix but they sound too low here in places - at the beginning in particular. I love a lot of the percussion textures you're using. BTW, do you like Pinback? the chorus sounds a lot like them. Good stuff.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:01 am

Wow, Ben. I'm consistently impressed with your songwriting. And this is the most glued-together I've heard your stuff sound yet. I mean, it's glued. You should put out a record.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:44 pm

I like it Ben!

It kind of makes me think of billy corgan and the postal service. I hope that doesn't offend you.

I hate to suggest MORE tracks but:
I'd rather hear acoustic drums than samples during the build "our hands our mouths" etc. It sounds like it could be really powerful, but isn't quite as dynamic as you'd get on an acoustic set. You could also just rework the sequencing to get a similar effect i'm sure through a different build.

More vocals.

More of some kind of a bass instrument. I'm listening on small speakers, but I can't hear much bass stuff happening at all. Also, the drums were popping out a bit too much in some parts with the hard panning.. almost like clipping. These speakers are terrible, so take that with a grain of salt.

Mike
Thank you. Good points. I'll play with the drum sounds on the build-up (I don't have an actual kit, so I can only use real drums occasionally), and will definitely bring up the vox. And the bass is there, it was just too quiet. I keep losing track of all the volumes, but I'm getting it together now. Word.
workshed wrote:Fucking brilliant, say I. In fact, I might even go so far as to say I'm sporting tremendous wood, but really, not really.

Well maybe a little, because I don't have much more than that to sport.

Oh, nevermind.

The only things I noticed about the mix were little nitpicky things:

- On the second (I think) chorus, where you have the 5 bazillion beautiful vocal harmonies going on together (around 2:00), it feels a little too weighted towards the right. I wanted to hear more of what was going on on the left side.

- Right before the final part where you get the little clean electric guitar melody (the part before the synths come in, around 4:20 -- yes, 4:20), I kind of want that guitar to come out a little more and shimmer more than it does.

Other than that, color me jealous and impressed. Where can I purchase a CD of this stuff?

-Bret
Shee-it. Thanks, sir. Complimets are logged away. And by that I mean I have a boner. And yeah, that vocal-mayhem part is right heavy; I had my volumes all screwy. Consider it fixed. And check on the electric guitar at 4:20 (hah!).

As for purchasing a CD, you can't. Because I don't have anything out. 'Cause I don't really know what I'm doing. But if you PM me your address, I'll send you some CDs for free. They'll be on cd-rs, but hey, they're free. It won't be this current project you just listened to a song from, because that won't be done until April or so, judging from the speed it's currently going (slow). But I'll send you that too when it's done, too.
Totally awesome. Only one thing kind of stood out. After the bass comes back in at about 2:50, some of the notes sound out of tune on the bass, just barely on some notes. Once again, it's really cool, and hopefully I'm not just hallucinating about that being out of tune sounding.
Whirred. Thanks, sir. And I'll check on that bass. I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly off. Or it might just be that synth sound. It's made out of my voice (sang an "oooohhhh" in C, cut a loop out of it, ran it to a midi keyboard and bent the pitch wheel as I played it ... 3 times ... one in each ear, one rotating), and I'm not pitch perfect by any stretch. I'll check into it, though.
hey this is a great tune! I'm just starting out so I don't know how much advice I can offer other than on the vocal level. I generally like the vocals low in the mix but they sound too low here in places - at the beginning in particular. I love a lot of the percussion textures you're using. BTW, do you like Pinback? the chorus sounds a lot like them. Good stuff.
Thanks to you, too. And yeah, vocals are too quiet. Definitely gonna fix that (I always undermix myself just a tad ... bad habit). And yes, I like Pinback. I only have their first two records, and should probably listen to them again since it's been awhile, but they definitely have some good stuff.
Wow, Ben. I'm consistently impressed with your songwriting. And this is the most glued-together I've heard your stuff sound yet. I mean, it's glued. You should put out a record.
Awesome, Eric. Thank you. And I'm trying on the whole record thing. But again, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. But worst case scenario, I'll scrape together some money (anyone want to buy a painting?) and put something out myself. I've recorded six CDs in two in a half years (I'm a hermit), and have two more en route, and the next one written musically. I figure that's enough for a while, and plan to get something pressed by the end of the year. Keeping my fingers crossed, and all that.

Thanks again folks. I'm gonna start mixing this again tonight.
I am wangtacular.