Pragma - Chicago's free studio

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:48 am

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:
Silverlode wrote:For all we know the stuff is crap anyway...no samples on the website. Or maybe it's great? More power to him.
Even IF it's crap, you're not losing anything but a little time...
to some people a little time is a lot to lose

it's been a while since Ive thought about this. I have no problem with people giving time away for free. You have to start somewhere...and sometimes that's what it takes to get clients into your place and show them what you can do. Free studios are also very cool as a community outreach effort... for high school bands that cant afford a studio recording, or for inner-city talent. But advertising your studio as a free studio for everyone, all the time, is different.

Someone earlier made a poor analogy of "2 for 1 at Payless Shoes". Ummm.. first of all, you get 2 shoes for the price of one... price is the key word here by the way. Second of all, it has nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

Let's say that a new ice cream store called "Sweet Ice Cream" opened up next door to another local ice cream store. Sweet Ice Cream gives away free ice cream to ANYBODY who wants it, all the time. I have a feeling that doing something like this is probably illegal... I don't see any difference between that and what Pragma is doing.

Im not trying to be a dick about this, I wish anewman all the luck in the world. And Im not saying that he is doing this on purpose to screw other studios out of business. I just see it as being a little uncool. A free studio shouldn't have to advertise and compete with businesses... Just because a studio chrages money does not mean they are money-hungry, greedy pigs. I charge very modest rates, just enough to pay the rent and improve the studio, and in return provide excellent service to artists. I also have to work a full time job, and eat ramen noodles for lunch.

Anewman, I noticed that you said "F the man". Who are you trying to fuck over with your free studio? I thought it was about making music... Im confused.

mike

ToyVan
audio school graduate

FREE WILLY!!!

Post by ToyVan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:11 am

Goodness gracious. We all have too much FREE time on our hands don't we?! We are giving this guy and his studio exactly what he wants...lots of FREE advertising.
Leave the guy alone and visit my FREE website and then book some time in my not FREE studio. Thanks.

www.toyvan.com
All I need is a good girl, my guitar, don't ask 4 much
---------------
www.toyvan.com

njames86
audio school

Do you need any help

Post by njames86 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:27 pm

I really can't believe Pragma actually exists. I totally support you man, more power to you. Hey, I'm a student at North Park University (up on Foster & Kedzie). I was wondering if you needed any help around your studio? I'm looking to get paid, but I wanted to get some hands on experience with an operating studio. I have some limited experience with sound equipment. I've grown up around a home studio, and recorded my own band. Ok, so it was on a four track. More importantly, I have nothing to do. If you need someone to help you wrap cables, set up, heavy lifting, or any other thing, I'm available. Best of luck with everything. If I ever get a new band together, I'll come to you. My email address is Njames86@juno.com

anewman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by anewman » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 pm

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:
Silverlode wrote:For all we know the stuff is crap anyway...no samples on the website. Or maybe it's great? More power to him.
Even IF it's crap, you're not losing anything but a little time...

Well, I'm not the best (I am getting better), but I've definately heard worse from studios that charge a few hundred per day. A lot of people with really reasonable rates in chicago really surprise me. I've listened to demos off of some sites and I'm pretty amazed at how good they sound. Others not so much.

-Adam
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.

treymonfauntre
ass engineer

Post by treymonfauntre » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:37 am

i can only imagine some poor band that i've heard has recorded at your studio and without you i would have never heard them. so thank you.