New Music

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

New Music

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:04 am

Maybe
I wrote this song when I was visiting Yosemite Park in California a few years ago. I didn't record it until a month or so ago. All parts were played by me. The drums were done on my Roland V-Club kit. The bass was recently aquired from my little brother.

She's Mine
I wrote this song during my last semester at college right after returning from Yosemite. I recorded it a couple years ago. I only sang and played guitar on this track. The rest I sequenced.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: New Music

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:38 pm

Anyone? :P

scott f.
ass engineer

Post by scott f. » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:22 pm

i likehoww the drums dont sound too roland-y. sounds good! reminds me of some of the ween songs that werent about poop or crack, if you know what im talking about.
angel crusher

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:43 pm

Hey, I like both the songs, although the first one feels more cohesive to me. The first one reminds me a lot of mellower Creeper Lagoon stuff -- maybe it's your voice. I think the heavy reverb adds a nice feel to the mood of the song.

I like the second song too, but the reverb feels like it muddies up the mix a little. That song sort of reminds me of The Jesus and Mary Chain a little, although not sure why. Might be cool to hear the guitars a little more predominantly in this one, since it's more of a rocker.

Good work!

-Bret

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:14 pm

Mucho thanks to both of you for responding! I really appreciate it.

I love my Roland kit. I try to pick samples and adjust the settings so it sounds like a normal kit. But you know, it's still nothing like my acoustics. Unfortunately I don't have room to set them all up here, but one day I will.

I haven't listened to Ween in a long time! I do love their stuff.

Personally I like the first one better myself. Most people I know in person like this one better, but oddly enough so far most people that I know online like the second one better.

If you liked the mellow vibe and reverb vocals of Maybe, you might like my song Run Away. I wrote that one for my girlie and she even walked to it at our wedding last New Years Eve. I wanted to add possibly some more lead guitar over the bridge... but it never came to me.

There are a couple things I'd like to change about She's Mine. Unfortunately, since it's an older song, I have lost the original tracks. I suppose I could always rerecord everything. The only thing I think I have heard from The Jesus And Mary Chain was their song on the Crow soundtrack. I think I liked it though.

I think I tend to mix the guitars back a little because I like drums more, heheh.

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:42 am

Sounds fantastic. I'm interested to know what kind of gear did you use? It doesn't sound lo-fi to me at all (then again, I'm listening on my multimedia speakers).

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:56 pm

My gear is nothing fancy. I recorded both songs in Sonar, with similar plugins. I use the Waves set on everything I do. Every now and then I use a couple things from Cakewalk's package.

Maybe:

Vocals done on MXL 2001 condensor mic through a Presonus tube pre.
Franciscar acoustic guitar done through the same mic and pre
OLP bass through the same tube pre, using it as a direct box.
Drums were done on my Roland V-Club kit, directly hooked up to my Sound Blaster Audigy Plat card (I have the front drive expansion with the extra connectors)

She's Mine:

Vocals done on the mic that came with my old Sound Blaster Live Plat card.
Ibanez Les Paul (lawsuit model) guitar
Bass and drums were sequenced in Sonar.

I consider all my music lo-fi. I've turned my spare bedroom into a make shift studio. Eventually I want to build a 20ftx20ft room outside, or an extra room in my next house specifically for this. I have some gear I can't really use now because of space limitations, like my 16 channel Biamp analog mixer and my acoustic drum kit. I really want space to record a full band so I can cater to my friends.

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:29 pm

Which is the lawsuit model? I used to have a PF-300 that I bought from my buddy who got it in New Zealand (then he bought it back). That was a pretty killer guitar. I really liked the sound of those sequenced drums, especially the way you got the cymbals to work. Most of the sequenced drums I hear sound like shit -- like a glorified click track done with Reason.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:08 pm

My Ibanez is a Gibson Les Paul rip off. It is so similar to the original, Gibson sued Ibanez because of it. It's my favorite electric guitar.

I actually do a lot of work in Reason. I love the program. I do game soundtracks with that program. Most of it is heavily proccessed.

My trick to getting a more realistic drum sound out of sequenced drums was to simulate what I would actually play myself. I have to say though, it is definately harder to sequence drums than it is to play them. When I play my real kit, it comes naturally to me. When I sequence the drums, I actually have to think about what it is I will write. When sequencing, I kept each drum on its own channel, which allowed me to EQ and add reverb to specific things without effecting the kit as a whole. I still ran the whole kit through a compressor and possibly a slight reverb at the end though.

With my V-Club, I can create custom kits, and apply different amounts of reverb (among many other options) to each pad, so I don't need to keep it all seperated in the mix. However, I am limited now to recording my V-Club kit in mono, since I only have a mono 1/4" line input to my soundcard. I want to change that so I can pan everything out. The drums in Maybe are in mono.