Reason plus SP-505 equals pain.

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
dirty
steve albini likes it

Reason plus SP-505 equals pain.

Post by dirty » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:06 pm

Anyone out there using a sampler/workstation as a Reason controller. I want to have something with pads that I can pound on to make drum loops, and a friend has lent me his Boss SP-505 indefinitely, but I'm MIDI-retarded.

Anyone have any advice? I can't seem to get the midi connection (which Reason recognizes) to play any of the drums. And it keeps playing out its own sounds through the audio outs. I've read the manual (online) and there's not much help there....

Am I better off trying to run Reason as a ReWire slave and play MIDI into Cubase SX? Seems more complex to me, and I wasn't able to sync things up before with everything running together...

tenton
audio school

Re: Reason plus SP-505 equals pain.

Post by tenton » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:38 pm

I'm using a nord lead 2 as a controller and it works fine. Are you on a Mac or PC??

On a mac, go into the utilities folder and launch the audio/midi utility. It should be able to locate the controller. If you're on a PC, I'm afraid I'm not much help.

high tek
takin' a dinner break

Post by high tek » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:11 pm

if reason reckognizes the midi then its something in reason....did u assign reason to accept external midi input?

and if you hear the 505 make noise just turn it down man, you said u just want to use it as a trigger right?

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:36 am

Yeah, I haven't explained myself well.
I guess I need to know

A) Should I use the NN-Xt instead of Redrum for the drums? I don't think I can assign a MIDI note to the "play button" for a Redrum channel.

B) Is anyone using a pad-type controller for Reason?

C) Anyone out there have an Sp-505 hooked up to Cubase? If so, and you want to elaborate on your setup, please do...

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:34 pm

I would recommend the NN-XT for what you're doing. The ReDrum, in my experience, is for 'mousing' new rhythms. Not sure if you can MIDI trigger the channels on it, but it would be hard to get something going with the pattern repeating over and over.

I've used the NN-XT with my keyboard to get drums going, and it works OK, but I've since gone back to the ReDrum because it gives you many options on time sigs, etc., that can be cool to use to get some faster fills, etc. I also mouse them, which isn't what you're looking to do.

Hope that helps.

MT

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:04 pm

You can trigger the Redrum via midi - it has a 10 note midi window starting with note number 36.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:16 pm

Thanks!

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:20 pm

check out the akai mpd16, mpc pads with a usb and midi connection. rules my life.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/