Which drive should I use?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
XXF
audio school graduate

Which drive should I use?

Post by XXF » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:30 pm

I am setting up a new G5. It comes with a 160GB hard drive and I added another 160GB drive. I am using the drive it came with for my applications and the second drive to record on. Which drive should I put my samples on? A friend suggested recording onto the second drive and put all applications and samples on the drive it came with. Any thoughts? Thanks.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Re: Which drive should I use?

Post by mrc » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:55 pm

Not a mac guy, but, the os and program drive will be doing the least amount of reads and writes (if you have ample memory) while you are tracking. So don't put samples for samplers on it. I use several drives on a pc, I'm sure a mac could prosper from the same.
mrc

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:57 pm

i get so many different opinions from people about this.... i have a similar scenario on my G4 and i ended up partitioning my second non-system drive to have one partition for samples and one for sessions. it's been working out pretty well for me so far.

XXF
audio school graduate

Post by XXF » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:58 am

Thanks for the responses. Both suggestions have been common. Partitioning the second drive is a good idea but most people have suggested a firewire drive for all the sample sounds. I think both would probably work well.