other
14%

Total votes: 22

AdamO
audio school graduate

DAW and reverb question

Post by AdamO » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:19 pm

This is an open letter to everyone here:

I am currently using SONAR as my main recording software.
I track everything dry except for a little eq cutting and some light compression (the compressor/gate is my only outboard gear).
What I want know from this most excellent forum is, how do you apply reverb in your mixes? I don't mean big effecty reverb, just the "glue" kind. I am specifically asking people who work digitally, because there is a cpu load factor and I am wondering how you guys handle it.
For reference (although not necessary as I am more than willing to adapt):

My system runs a P4 1.6 gig with 1G of ram and one 80gig 7200 rpm hd,
Delta 44, Behringer EURORACK MX2642A

Feel free to suggest hardware, chambers, plugs, anything that you ACTUALLY use to verb together a spacy mix,
Thank you,
-Adam
f**k live!
-C. Jennings, when asked "but how do I recreate this on stage?", on recording my last album.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: DAW and reverb question

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:01 pm

Spring reverb in an amp.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:16 am

I try to use the room and re'chamber' as much as possible but my room really doesn't sound that nice. I had to shamefully vote 'plug-in' because I'm so constantly blown away by the sound of SIR. I do love and often use my furman spring though!

will

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:00 am

I voted plug-in, simply because as a hobbyist, it's the easiest for me. I don't need effects while I track, so I don't need an outboard unit to make that easier. I used to have a cheapie Lexicon unit, but I quickly found that to my ears, the Logic Space Designer plug sounded a lot better (I thought the Apple reverb sounded better too).

I would love to get a Kurzweil Rumour though, at some point in the future.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:27 am

Put the reverb on an aux track and use that as a reverb return by sending the tracks you want to that aux. This is how it's often done on a professional console, and also how it can be done to put the least amount of strain on your CPU. It doesn't make sense to put a reverb on every track... put the reverb on one track and send the tracks to that!

This is also best for "gluing" your mix together as you say, because every track will see the same type of reverb (but in varying levels depending on how much you send.)

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:07 pm

brew wrote:This is also best for "gluing" your mix together as you say, because every track will see the same type of reverb (but in varying levels depending on how much you send.)

No kididing. This is something that has totally been lost in the DAW revolution. As recently as 5-10 years ago, this was an assumption. Nowdays folks have no idea how to make space. Its really weird to hear an upfront guitar and then the vocalist is yelling at you from about fifty feet away from you in the gymnasium. Leaves one scratching one's head a bit.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 am

I end up using some of everything...room sounds, plugins, and a tc electronic m300. The tc is great as my overall aux send verb, usually on one of the two plate settings. I'll use the unifinished part of my basement for effect-y reverb, and plugins like Ambience and Roomverb (and occasionally the Lexicion plug) if I need a different flavor than what I've got on the tc.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:53 pm

brew wrote:Put the reverb on an aux track and use that as a reverb return by sending the tracks you want to that aux. This is how it's often done on a professional console, and also how it can be done to put the least amount of strain on your CPU. It doesn't make sense to put a reverb on every track... put the reverb on one track and send the tracks to that!

This is also best for "gluing" your mix together as you say, because every track will see the same type of reverb (but in varying levels depending on how much you send.)
Yup... But the Space Designer thing still chomps on my mac pretty hard, even when I do that. But you're definately right, it helps a lot. It's a great tip which for anyone who's never tracked through a console to tape might not be very obvious. I've set-up my Logic autoload song with a couple of pre-defined aux tracks, one with reverb, one with delay.

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:19 pm

syrupcore wrote:I try to use the room and re'chamber' as much as possible but my room really doesn't sound that nice. I had to shamefully vote 'plug-in' because I'm so constantly blown away by the sound of SIR. I do love and often use my furman spring though!

will
So far SIR has gotten the job done for me, too.

I'm going to try re-amping through fender twin soon, tho.
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

wallace
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by wallace » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:22 am

I got the Kurzweil Rumor (outboard reverb) used for $370 and have just been loving it! It's got about 180 verbs and delays. The ambient rooms are so realistic, and the plate verbs are amazing. I run the reverb through my fatso to warm it up, then print it. I can't stand using reverb plugins, although I'm sure there are some nice one's out there. In my experience, plugins slow my computer down and sound cold.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:01 pm

i prefer a real plate verb (they've got a couple at Dubway in NYC... mmm... plates). but being that I don't happen to have one at home, i'll go with plugins...

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:00 pm

I have two ways of using 'verb...

1) Use it up to being noticeably gone when muted out.

2) Use it to where it's noticeable.

Now if I can't do it in the room with a mic or reamp room re-record it successfully then I'll use a plug-in (via a sends track) or an outboard aux sends unit mixed in to taste.

To me, personally, I like an "effect" to be an effect when it's suppose to be an effect...wha?...

Some things like two guitar players with an extreme l/r pan (respectively) a Tight Room/Mirrored gtr room kinda thing slightly introduced can give space that might not be there from panned sources. It is a delicate touch and it's hard to not pull out more verb/delay. I like to add whatevers to what-not, full volume the effect (to an obnoxious level), then subtract the output volume to where it breaks the threshold between noticing it and not noticing it. I've been pretty successful with that so far.

I haven't done an overall stereo mix 'verb for at least 11 years cuz it never did what I wanted it to. I've discovered that the more individual control you have over an instrument the better. I share Aux Sends/Ret most of the time while changing send's output for those sent to an Aux (dry vs wet).

I like to send snare and overheads to something similar, guitars to some other setting aux, and vocals to a different setting aux.

I record on analog DRY and either mix in my DAW w/UAD plugs or mix at my console with outboard gear (depends on the band's preference).

I've had bands leave my studio and do an overall l/r 'verb (not to my approval) but it did sound okay in the end. I think the source material did have a big factor as to why the inserted overall 'verb worked.

The best way I've worked around processor load is with Aux sends to a few different 'verb settings within my UAD Real-Verb. I do need another UAD card just to separate the load considering I soak the hell out of my first card in regard to compression and EQ (good god those Pultec's sound AWESOME as far a plug-in EQ's go).

Okay... take care and I hope I contributed in some way. Let me know if you have any more questions,

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo